Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Not by eastern windows only


Here’s a real-life example of what I think the nineteenth-century English poet, Arthur Hugh Clough (1819 - 1861) was talking about in that poem of his I showed you the other day (you can read the poem here):

Fred Rogers’ Acceptance Speech after receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1997 Daytime Emmy Awards ceremony


If you happen to be among the few people who have never heard of either the much-beloved Mr. Rogers or his long-running, award-winning children’s program on American public television, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, you can read about him and it here and here.

And if you do remember Mr. Rogers, here is a message from him to you.



6 comments:

  1. oh what a wonderful time in the neighborhood, ia m speciial, really really special....fred rogers should have been a blogger, i would have read him every day, hey i read bob wit everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time right now to listen to/read everything about him, but I LOVE Mr. Rogers! I was happy to sit and watch his show with my kids. My son ate cornflakes because of him (and a character on his puppet show). And he always had such cool tours of places - like the factory where they made crayons. Fascinating! And gentle - always gentle. When my oldest son got his first haircut he told the barber quite seriously and with great dignity that he wanted his hair cut "like Mr. Rogers."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often watched Mr. Roberts with my kids and that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny. My kids loved this show and would watch it without fail. I didn't mind it except for some reason it just drove me crazy when he sang and changed his shoes. Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we are getting into the realm of Children's Television, may I recommend Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men, closely followed by Trumpton, Camberwick Green and Chigley.Oh, and I nearly forgot - Bagpuss ! Now all you people across the pond can wonder who on earth I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Putz, Rosezilla, Dr. John, Egghead, and jinksy, for reading my blog and leaving comments. I take none of you for granted, and I appreciate all of you.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...