Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What’s wrong with this picture?



The correct answer, I suppose, is “Nothing.”

This is a photo of Harry Reid, the senior United States Senator from Nevada, a member of the Democratic Party, and the Majority Leader of the U. S. Senate since January 2007. He is to the Senate as Representative Steny Hoyer from Maryland’s Fifth Congressional District is to the House of Representatives. Notice I did not say Nancy Pelosi. She is Speaker of the House, a different office entirely than Majority Leader. Her counterpart in the Senate is Vice-President Joe Biden. So much for getting the details right. Let us move on.

I don’t know when that photo was taken, or where, or at what occasion, but Senator Reid appears to be praying. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (that is, Mormons) he may well be praying. Nancy Pelosi is a member of the Roman Catholic Church. She probably prays also.

A more pertinent question might be, “What do Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi pray for?”

I will hazard a few guesses. The passage of their version of Healthcare legislation in their respective spheres of influence? The demise of FOX News? Re-election? Forgiveness? No one knows, really.

But these lyrics from one of the songs in Godspell might be a good place for all of us to start:

Day by day,
Day by day,
Oh, Dear Lord,
Three things I pray:
To see thee more clearly,
Love thee more dearly,
Follow thee more nearly,
Day by day.

Day by day by day by day by day....


4 comments:

  1. i am glad you said nothing is wrong with the picture, cause i was looking around for horns on our mormon friend or something else askue in the picture, like maybe the wrong color of tie or mrs. pelosi way in the background sticking her tonque out, but i saw none of that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fairly sure that's not where they start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always leaves me skeptical and with a "sour taste in my mouth" to see a politician praying (don't get me wrong - I think they need to) especially because its disallowed for the children in their schools. Yes, there is something very wrong with the picture.

    What is allowed for the leaders certainly should be allowed for the followers, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...