Sunday, December 5, 2010

As Sophia Petrillo on The Golden Girls might have said...

Picture it: Dublin, 1742. (Hint: You’re supposed to click there.)

If you want to read all about Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Blanche Devereaux, and the aforementioned Sophia Petrillo, click here.

If you would rather read about George Frideric Handel’s oratorio Messiah, of which “For Unto Us a Child Is Born” (the musical number in the link at the top of this post) is a part, click here.

And if you live in New Zealand and your name is Katherine DeChevalle (or if you create drawings and paintings using various media no matter what your name is or where you live), I especially direct your attention to the section entitled “Word-painting” in the link in the previous paragraph. The rest of you can also check it out if you like.

Speaking of painting, the following painting depicts either George Frideric Handel or Sophia Petrillo:


I won’t keep you in the dark. The person pictured above is none other than:
THIS is Sophia Petrillo:


I can see how you might get them confused.

This post has been presented for your musical, artistic, and spiritual edification on the Second Sunday of Advent, 2010.

3 comments:

  1. how come you get so many "quote" visitors but none decide to make a comment to you????????will you bite thier head opff like you do MINE//////?????????AND YOU GO TO SO MUCH RESEARCH FOR ALL OF US, I THINK IT IS KIND OF RUDE OF THEM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sophia has passed now but I enjoyed the Golden Girls and I love Handel but I am not too familiar with Katherine de Chevalle although find her name interesting.

    Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putz, you must be hallucinating again. I have never bitten your head off! I have occasionally suggested that you put comments about other posts on those posts, and in the distant past I may have referred to your unique spelling and punctuation on rare occasions.

    A Lady's Life, Katherine is someone who reads this blog, paints very well, and has a blog called The Last Visible Dog.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...