Thursday, April 14, 2011

If you build it, they will come...

I see by the old clock on the wall that Feedjit thingy in the sidebar that my audience is growing by leaps and bounds, relatively speaking.

Whereas a little over a week ago the 50th-most-recent visitor had been sucked into the vortex arrived 34 hours earlier, today the 50th-most-recent visitor (the last time I checked, which was a couple of minutes ago) was caught in my web arrived a mere 17 hours ago.

Also, there are now 58 people and a dog named Baron following my blog, up from 42 and no dog a few months back. Of course, this number pales into insignificance when compared with Grumpy Old Ken (who had 1078 followers at last count) and The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) (who must have millions) but I’m okay with that. We few, we happy few, will muddle on walk confidently together into whatever awaits us in the future.

Also, I am gratified that our little group gets along so well. No mass murders have occurred yet and no policemen have come knocking at the door in the middle of the night to tell me that you have been arrested for public intoxication lewd and lascivious conduct inciting a riot some minor infraction and are being held in the local hoosegow until I can get down there and post your bail. Of course, Yorkshire Pudding is off teaching school in Thailand for a few months, so that helps keeps things calm and collected around here. Putz still insults me occasionally, but only in the comments section of his own blog, so I thank God for small favors. Pat in Arkansas has vacated the premises temporarily to travel with her daughter. Snowbrush is in the hospital having surgery on his shoulder. Katherine in New Zealand is probably trying to transfer the colors of autumn onto a canvas before the light fades.

We do have an occasional defector to what must be greener pastures, but, hey, water seeks its own level. My high-school science teacher, Mr. Noble Steelman, told us so. My vocational agricultural teacher, Mr. Ben Barber, told us that cream rises to the top, but other than providing links to Grumpy Old Ken and The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) I don’t know how to work that fact into this post.

And then there’s you. My peeps. The quiet backbone of all things bright and beautiful. The silent majority. The ones who know it’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I never learned to do that.

8 comments:

  1. That's one thing I've never been accused of -(Keeping schtumm for any length of time!) I tend to suffer from verbal diarrhoea, a lifelong complaint...
    I think Blogland has been hi-jacked by Twitter and Facebook. Many people can only think in mini sentences, as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jinksy, thanks for commenting. I don't recognize the word schtumm and can't find it in my dictionary, but enough of my synapses are still firing or connecting or whatever it is they do that I think you might be using Cockney rhyming slang and therefore mean mum, which means silent over here across the pond. Even if schtumm is a perfectly good German or Lithuanian or Liechtensteinian word that means something else entirely, I still think that's what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog so much and it pleases me that even a dog is following you, let's hope for many more followers of the human and animal variety!

    ReplyDelete
  4. some of us who you consider "the happy few" are really the drug induced few<><>,.those who visit your blog much the same way as getting up brushing their teeth,taking their meds, washing their face, visiting bob and then getting into their real useful work of crossing guard, mowing their ample lawn{reminds me of my mom with ample breasts}, and weeding their vegatable garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theanne is a human and yes Baron is my Dachshund! I just informed him that he was following your blog...he chortled! I thought I was meant to be getting emails whenever a comment was left on any of my posts...I have comments emailed to two different email addresses and have been know to use the delete button brutally and often without properly checking to see who the emails are from and on what post. I'll try to do better...but I make no promises! Interestingly enough your message was left for me to moderate, which I did and here I am. I've been to your other blog and will "follow" it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Emma, for loving to read my blog. You are one of my more recent followers, and I am pleased to continue making your acquaintance.

    Putz, if you have any spare time left after all that teeth-brushing and meds-taking and face-washing, I wish you would hop on a plane to Georgia and mow my ample lawn too. It's one chore I do not like.

    Theanne (and Baron, you two are my newest followers, and I welcome you to the gang. Gang, this is Theanne and Baron. Theanne and Baron, this is the gang. I must tell you that one does not follow my other blog so much as experience its uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like just half of those followers, if you don't mind sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wine in Thyme, I will be happy to share my followers with you, but first you will have to figure out how get them to sign up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...