Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You have an unhealthy interest in trivia if...

1. You can name all eight of Elizabeth Taylor’s husbands.

2. You know what ontogeny recapitulates.

3. You can name every U.S. president, his years in office, his vice-presidents, and every British monarch starting with Alfred the Great.

4. You know the first 17 numbers in the Fibonacci series by heart and are working on the first 100 decimal digits of Pi.

5. You know what John F. Kennedy, C. S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley have in common beside the fact that they are all dead.

6. You know all the words to every song in Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The King and I.

7. You know how to say “Goodbye” in more languages than you have fingers and “Thank you” in more languages than you have toes.

8. You know how to sing “O Sanctissima, O Piissima, Dulcis virgo Maria, Mater amata, Intemerata, Ora, ora pro nobis” in Latin and you are not even Roman Catholic. Also “Panis Angelicus.”

9. You know all the halogens in the periodic table of elements.

10. You can name the twelve apostles, the twelve tribes of Israel, the seven wonders of the ancient world, and the eight labors of Hercules.

Okay, maybe you don’t have an unhealthy interest in trivia, maybe you are just smart, but you definitely need to get out more.

4 comments:

  1. re. Q5, I know that those three fellows all died on November 22nd 1963...As I do "get out more" I don't know any other answers in full. Sorry - now back to my cocaine-fuelled orgy... Okay, okay Dolores, I'm coming! See ya Braguey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to admit to a healthy (some say obsessive) interest in trivia, at least the interesting kind.

    You didn't specify if it is knowing all of the answers to your question or any one of them. In which case, like YP, I could answer Q5 and I'm lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yorkshire Pudding, I know that Dolores means sad, and your response to my post is really sad. For an excellent, unparalleled, absolutely magnificent response to my post, see Elizabeth Stanford-Sharpe's, which includes Pi to 20,000 digits and tonnes (to use your spelling) of other stuff that would undoubtedly fill the Augean Stables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shooting Parrots (Ian), please see my response to Yorkshire Pudding.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...