Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Words, words, words, words, eating goober words. Goodness, how delicious, eating goober words.

I know it’s nearly Christmas and all (and even Kwanzaa, and Chanukah is about over) , but today I want to tell you my very favorite word.

About a week ago, Yorkshire Pudding of Sheffield,England (that’s in the U.K., you know) had a post in which he allowed as how some of his favorite words were mellifluous and nincompoop and pamplemousse (French for grapefruit) and scythe, but his very favorite word (he spelled it “favourite”) is Yorkshire, which he called “a beautiful proper noun that cascades from the mouth like the heavenly sound of angels singing in paradise.” It is difficult to compete with a retired teacher of English.

Adrian in Scotland commented that marmalade is best but he also likes discombobulate and chauvinistic, Peace Thyme Garden and Weather Station confessed that she has always loved the sound of the word cacophany, Jan Blawat likes scrumptious and Lee likes phenomenon.

Things grew more interesting when Hilltophomesteader who homesteads on a hilltop in southwestern Washington state said she likes eclectic, eccentric, frazzle, soliloquy and lots of others but she doesn’t care for words like larvae, pupil and staid. She also said that for a whole week her favorite words were lugubrious and gormless.

Librarian chimed in with persnickety. Figures.

Brian the ex-pat in Catalan mentioned whistle and whisper.

Helsie down in Brisbane likes mateship.

Hilltop said if foreign words were allowed, she has always loved to mutter dummkopf under her breath. I then revealed that dummkopf was one of my father’s pet names for me. At least I think it was one of his pet names. I'm going to continue telling myself that.

My favorite word? That’s difficult. I like so many. Boondoggle. Onomatopoeia. Indispensable. Caterwauling. Gargantuan. Indecipherable. Pusillanimous. Indefatigable. Perfunctory. Insurmountable. Yorkshire Pudding reminded me that swallowing dictionaries can cause indigestion.

But I have finally reached a decision. My very favorite word in all of English is (drum roll, please) : gazinta.

Gazinta.

Yes, you are familiar with it. You’ve probably said it yourself many times.

As in “Nine gazinta 27 three times.”

Maybe my father was right.

Your assignment for 2015 is to become familiar with the phrase “elegant variation.”

And a very merry Christmas/Kwanzaa/Chanukah to you too.

8 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I thought gazinta was what you uttered when someone sneezed.... You learn something knew every day (my Grandpa always said that...)
    I'll work on the new assignment, Mr Bob. Merry Christmas from the Hilltop to you and, of course, your lovely wife and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a very merry Christmas to you and yours.
    I have a vague memory of reading that Tolkein's favourite phrase was cellar door - not for the meaning but for the elegant way it slithered off the tongue (my paraphrase). And he is right. Myself I have a weakness for serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... my parents used to use the word "gazaza" and then follow it up with, "Not to be confused with a gazinta." Invariably, someone would say, "What's a gazinta?" and they would reply, "Something that gazinta something else." Fun memories...

    I have a whole list of the most beautiful (sounding) words. You're right, there are too many to choose from. But I'll add dulcet, gossamer, halcyon and zephyr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The English language isn't it?
    Merry Christmas Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gazinta
    Generally. any device that goes into any other device. An electric plug goes into a wall outlet, a light bulb goes into a socket. The plug and the light bulb are gazintas.
    "What's THAT?" "I dunno, I think it's a gazinta of some sort. Wonder where it goes?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. ARGH! I detest grammatical errors....especially when I make them! (should be 'you learn something NEW every day...) Back to school I go!
    More words I like:
    fence post, barbed wire, supper time, coffee with cream, olden days,
    wishful thinking, born out of time, time worn....
    You can tell a lot by a person by the words they like & live by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fandangle, Knismesis, Algedonic, are all favourites, but this wins for me- Eleemosynary!

    Have a lovely Christmas with Mrs Rhymes and the family good sir, best wishes from over the pond. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. And a Happy Christmas to you Sir Robert and Lady RWP. My very best wishes to you both from Cairns in FNQ, Australia xx

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...