Thursday, May 17, 2018

Not only has spring sprung, sumer is icumen in

As proof, here are two views of my neighbors' rhododendrons, or maybe they are mountain laurel (the flowers, not the neighbors). I can never remember. I'm pretty sure they are rhododendrons.



In case you are wondering, I didn't go into my neighbors' yard. I stood next to the wooden fence that separates our properties.

Mrs. RWP and I are treated daily to this wonderful display outside our bedroom window. Our neighbors, whom we’ve known for 15 years, are no longer able to enjoy their lovely terraced garden. Peggy, 85, is slowly sliding into dementia. Rube, who will be 90 in September, built the entire hillside himself over a period of several years. Two months ago they moved into an assisted-living facility about four miles away. Their daughter, who is in her mid-sixties and lives in another town, took Pepper, their five-year-old miniature schnauzer, into her own home to look after.

We went to visit our friends a few days ago and it broke my heart to see Peggy holding a plush stuffed toy dog in her lap, a grey miniature schnauzer that was a farewell gift from another neighbor, and talking to it softly. Before we left, I presented Peggy and Rube with 8x10 copies of both photographs so that they can enjoy their garden this year as well.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely rhododendrons. And yes, it would have yanked at my heart strings to see Peggy talking to and loving a plush toy.
    Thank you for taking those photos in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad that people have to give up their whole way of life when they get older. I wish them the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send Peggy and Rube my English love next time you see them. What a kind and thoughtful act it was to give them pictures of their garden.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...