Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How sweet the sound

I probably flatter myself, but I’m beginning to think of myself as the Ed Sullivan of the blogosphere, or at least my little corner of it, bringing to my faithful audience day after day, week after week, a wide spectrum of subjects to ponder -- but enough about me, let’s talk about you. What do YOU think of my blog? (That’s supposed to be a funny; I’m not expecting you to answer.)

Today’s guests are no Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and they’re no Luciano Pavarotti either, but what they do they do very well, in my opinion. And what they do is combine two musical genres, gospel and blues, in a very engaging way. I think they’re worth listening to. If you have not heard them before, permit me to introduce you to The Blind Boys of Alabama, today’s featured group.

Here they are singing “Amazing Grace” to the tune of “The House of the Rising Sun” with a brief glimpse of Don Imus, on whose program they were appearing. I’ve decided not to include a link to an article about Don Imus because the one I found in my research for this post had enough internal links in it that if you ever started clicking on them you would never find your way back to this post.

If gospel/blues (as they say in the red states) or blues/gospel (as they say in the blue states) turns out not to be your cup of tea, I’ll certainly understand. But this is the real thing -- soul music as it was meant to be sung. Perhaps it’s not virtuoso musicianship, but it’s about as authentic as it gets. For all you readers who live outside the south, the Blind Boys of Alabama are the real deal, the genuine article.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thank you introducing us to the Blind Boys of Alabama! I'm listening on your YouTube link right now, and there's a link to their website from the Wikipedia link you gave. Their site is cool and I listened to "Free At Last". Yes, this is truly music from the heart......I love it!

    By the way......I also love your blog! I had never visited YouTube before you started linking to it. Your posts are unique, intelligent, and clever! Keep up the great variety show of blogging, Ed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of the Blind Boys of Alabama and I must say I couldn't imagine what Amazing Grace would sound like to the tune of the House of the Rising Sun. I love it. These guys just might be one of my new favorites.

    I too love your blog. I come here for schooling Bob. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cool and unique performing group. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed that so much. I love both songs (for vastly different reasons), so to hear them combined like that was "way cool." I know, I'm behind on my slang, but what can you expect from someone who just turned 50?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeannelle, Vonda, Ruth, and nameless Mormon Soprano, I'm glad you enjoyed the Blind Boys of Alabama. And three of you used the word "cool" in your comment.
    Now, that's cool!

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...