Monday, June 1, 2009
It has been awhile since I did some things...
It has been more than 50 years since I:
* Turned all the glasses in the kitchen cupboard upside down to keep scorpions out.
* Found a copperhead snake sleeping coiled up on top of a laundry basket full of clean clothes taken recently from the clothesline.
* Went skinny dipping in a neighbor’s pond.
* Lived in a house that didn’t have indoor plumbing.
* Owned a pig.
* Drove my Dad’s irresistible 1952 Plymouth into an immovable hundred-year-old oak tree.
* Had a lime phosphate at Mayfield’s Drug Store after school and then walked two miles home in the blazing sun.
* Fed chickens.
* Rode on the back of Spike Austin’s motor scooter to the bank and deposited money collected for Senior Class Rings.
* Made a valedictory address.
* Played a clarinet solo.
* Played an alto saxophone solo.
* Marched in a half-time show in the pouring rain at a high school football game.
* Sat in the end zone seats at Texas Christian University on Band Day with a band that played the national anthem in a different key from all the other bands.
* Cleaned white suede shoes after marching in a big-city rodeo parade behind many horses who heard Nature calling frequently.
* Danced on American Bandstand in Philadelphia and breathed the same air as Dick Clark.
* Filled a paper bag with bat guano at midnight in a limestone cave on a scavenger hunt just to make my fraternity brothers happy.
* Drove onto a small wooden pier to wait for a ferry to take me across the Wabash to Vincennes, Indiana, and discovered the pier was the ferry.
It has been more than 40 years since I:
* Shoveled snow off a sidewalk.
* Bought snow tires.
* Saw icicles more than eight feet long with my own eyes.
* Flew 1500 miles in the back seat of a very loud, four-passenger Cessna 180 from Omaha, Nebraska, to Orlando, Florida, with a refueling stop in Memphis, Tennessee.
* Climbed to the top of the Statue of Liberty with two small children.
* Ate at a Chinese restaurant on W. 57th St. in New York City with Angie Dickinson and Burt Bacharach sitting at the next table.
It has been more than 30 years since I:
* Rode on Space Mountain at Walt Disney World.
* Visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
* Drove on Lombard Street in San Francisco.
It has been more than 20 years since I:
* Threw a snowball on the second of July at Mount Rainier.
* Saw eagles in the wild in British Columbia.
* Found someone with my surname on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
But I have:
* Held a grandchild in my arms.
* Watched a man install a satellite dish on my roof.
* Taken a dog to the vet.
* Walked along a beach and gathered seashells.
* Attended the launch of a Space Shuttle and felt the sound waves pass through my body.
* Shown a child Orion’s belt and the Big Dipper and the North Star.
How about you?