Saturday, October 24, 2009

Blogging is so broadening enlightening


My British blogging friend, Yorkshire Pudding, whose real name I have never been able to determine, retired a couple of months ago from a 30-year teaching career. As a sort of present to himself, he has decided to fulfill a lifelong dream and take a trip to Rapa Nui to see the Moai. (If that last part made no sense whatever to you, Rapa Nui is another name for Easter Island and the Moai are the 887 monumental statues that have been found on the island.)


That is not Easter Island. Don’t be silly! That is Santiago, Chile, from the air, with some of the Andes Mountains in the background and a layer of smog obscuring the view. According to Wikipedia, the Andes range is over 7,000 km (4,300 mi) long, 200 km (120 mi) to 700 km (430 mi) wide, and of an average height of about 4,000 meters (13,000 ft). The metropolitan area of Santiago, Chile, is home to more than 7,000,000 people, which helps to explain the smog.

No, dear hearts, this is Easter Island:



To read more about Easter Island, click here.

To read more about the Moai, click here.

Here is a sample of the so-far-indecipherable "rongo-rongo script" of the original inhabitants of Rapa Nui, the ones who apparently erected the 887 moai:



Perhaps Yorkshire Pudding is also going to Easter Island to see these:


They are described in the middle row of the rongo-rongo script if I have interpreted it correctly.

Whatever his reasons, just click here to let Yorkshire Pudding be your guide on this fascinating journey.

6 comments:

  1. I shall visit Yorkshire Pudding at first opportunity. I am intrigued by Easter Island, and would love to go there. At this stage of my life, it seems my trip will have to be vicarious.

    Thanks for calling YP's trip to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a big tease, you wangle the andes in front of us while it has nothing to do with morie, very unrelated, and then go on and on and on rmabling...you are worse than me with my slice of life pulled out of nowhere...unrelated bits and pieces....you are more organized that that wit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing out loud about your deciphering of the rongo-rongo script. You know, you might be right! And now we know what thát means, it should be easy to decipher the rest of it. World fame is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat - Glad to be of service.

    Putz - I will explain in my next post.

    Carolina - Thank you! The first two commenters seem to have overlooked this completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the center girl is depicted in the bottom row of script, second from the right - but I'm not too happy about the devil with the tail, one jump away to her left! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jinksy - Too funny! I didn't know you spoke rongo-rongo!

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...