Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Welcome, sweet Springtime (continued)


(Photograph by David Hopkins, Stanly County, North Carolina)


I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud
by William Wordsworth


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

5 comments:

  1. do you know what i consider more beautiful than a field of daffoldills/?????????? a field of dandy lions>>>isn't that just the craziest thing you have ever heard??????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. RWP,

    Thank you...one of my favorte poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This very famous poem isn't simply about daffodils. It reflects upon Man's relationship with Nature. Wordsworth is promoting the idea that if we are only receptive we can be truly at one with Nature so that it warms our inner selves even when we lie on our lonely couches. Perhaps better than any other poem he wrote, this one really gets at the heart of what it means to be alive, to be part of Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oft when with brush I grip
    In stressed and uncreative mind,
    'Tis Lakeland heather hills that slip
    Through my head, and peace I find;
    For that honeyscent day and hazy blue,
    unfolds my art like my tranquil view.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...