Monday, March 26, 2012

Like a circle in a spiral

With thanks to Elizabeth Stanford-Sharpe for directing me to it, here is what I now consider to be the definitive version of “The Windmills of Your Mind” (3:54) sung by Barbra Streisand. Oddly, her rendition is nearly twice the length of Noel Harrison’s original (2:18) even though the lyrics are identical.

Here she is earlier in her career, taking “I'm Five!” at a slightly faster tempo.

I have noticed over the years that listening to Barbra Streisand tends to affect people in one of two ways. It either (a) soothes their troubled minds or (b) makes their heads explode.

Just like her politics.

Without looking, can you name Barbra Streisand’s husbands?

The real question, though, is why would you want to?


[Editor’s note. Barbra Streisand had a long relationship with Jon Peters, a hair stylist and movie producer, but she has been married only two times, to actor Elliott Gould (born Elliot Goldstein) and actor James Brolin (born Craig Kenneth Bruderlin). It is entirely possible, therefore, that she has uttered the words “What’s the frequency, Kenneth?” in normal conversation.--RWP]

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I couldn't name either husband and I used to enjoy Elliot Gould's acting work, even on the re-runs of friends that my daughter insists on watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Streisand fan so I guess she sooths me and I know husband No 2 has a great head of white/grey hair but that's as far as I can go!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbara, sings it well but carly simon's sings it better, yes i said barbarabara

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...