Friday, March 19, 2010

I meant to post this rebus yesterday.


Jinksy will understand. But do you?





































































































I will post the answer tomorrow.

Update, 3/19/2010, 3:50 pm EDT. I have decided to post the solution this afternoon so that my thousands of readers will not be on needles and pins until tomorrow.

My more erudite readers will know that my rebus is a photographic version of a famous greeting card created by Sandra Keith Boynton in 1975. My immediate problem is that I have no idea which of you happen to be my more erudite readers.

Jinksy knew the answer because two days ago I sent her some environmentally aware, green, we’re-riders-on-the-earth-together birthday greetings that went:

Hippo birdie two ewe,
Hippo birdie two ewe,
Hippo birdie deer Jiiinnnnkksssyyyyyy,
Hippo birdie two ewe.

Just substitute rhyyymeswithplaaaaague (shown here circa 1943 with my mother) for Jiiinnnnkksssyyyyy and you have most of today’s puzzle celebrating my birthday, which was yesterday. Thank you once again, Sandra Keith Boynton.

I think the ending of the rebus, which happens to be my own addition, is rather obvious:

...and many mower.

6 comments:

  1. You may have caught me on the horns of a dilemma here - maybe a second perusal will supply the missing link meaning to the grass cutters? I do like a puzzle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to have been YOUR birthday yesterday, then, so I'm the eldest, therefore allowed to boss you about a bit! Maybe we should hold a double shindig next year on the 17th, to split the difference, as you might say...Hope you had a good one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. my birthday is in 38 more days..>>>>68>>>NO NO 69

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed your birthday, RWP. I hope your day was wonderful.

    After many trials and tribulations, I FINALLY have a working computer, as of 5:15 p.m. CDST today! Yay for me! Yay for my son and the guru who slew the monsters!

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Birthday Wishes winging their way to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very happy, late birthday to you! I kind of like rebuses but I rarely get them completely. I also know of an ongoing dispute about whether a rhino or a hippo would win in a fight between the two. I am learning a lot of scary things about both. Hippos are pretty terrifying, apparently.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...