Saturday, March 13, 2010

I have six little helpers in everything I do...


Their names are What and Where and When and How and Why and Who.

I woke up this morning with that little jingle from Journalism 101 in my head. I never took Journalism 101, but that didn’t prevent me from starting this blog, now, did it? So then, class, we see that every cloud has a silver lining.

I am full of platitudes and scraps of poetry and snippets of song lyrics today.

* Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
* A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
* This is the forest primeval; the murmuring pines and the hemlocks.
* It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea, that a maiden there lived whom you may know, by the name of Annabel Lee.
* ’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
* Just you wait, ’enry ’iggins, just you wait!
* Once in love with Amy, always in love with Amy.
* Gonna lay down my burdens, down by the riverside, down by the riverside, down by the riverside; gonna lay down my burdens, down by the riverside, ain’t gonna study war no more.
* Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
* When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Well, that’s enough of that. No matter how much I try to clear my head of the flotsam and jetsam, there’s always more where that came from.

I don’t know where I first heard the jingle about the six little helpers, but it’s good advice for reporters and bloggers everywhere, along with the ever-popular “First tell them what you’re going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you told them.”

Unless, of course, your name is rhymeswithplague. Then you just let ’er rip and hope for the best.

After all, if happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why, oh, why can’t I?

7 comments:

  1. I always say my head is a flea market of trivia. I guess I am not alone :) Fun, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuck in my head today is "Ring the bells of heaven, there is joy today...." You, most likely, know the rest of the words. (I do, too, at least the first verse and chorus)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you getting the drugs from? Please send me some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then there's my favorite: "If you're not sure it's potato borscht, there could be orphans working in the mines." Thomas Banacek

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to have friends in blogland.

    Rosezilla (Tracie), mine is more of a cornucopia.

    Pat - Arkansas, I certainly do! Glory, glory, how the angels sing!

    Yorkshire Pudding, you made me laugh out loud in front of my computer. Thanks.

    Snowbrush, my personal favorite (although it's not from Banacek) is "The ox moves slowly, but the earth is patient."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure this really counts but my mother always said "You're not as green as you're cabbage-looking" to me.

    Real confidence builder eh? Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only just got round to reading this and wondered, are you ashamed of laughing in front of your computer? I do it all the time... lol :) (begs the question, do you go and laugh behind its back instead...)

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...