Tuesday, February 16, 2016

More deer, dear?

Since Saturday Mrs. RWP and I have been visiting our daughter, son-in-law, and their two sons in Georgia's lovely neighbor to the west, the great state of Alabama. We plan to return to our home tomorrow, even though it has been raining all day today as if there is no tomorrow.

Our son-in-law's brother's daughter's husband went deer hunting in December and gave a great deal of venison to our hosts. Tonight we are having our fifth meal involving venison in the last three days. To recap, Saturday for supper we had spaghetti and meat sauce with venison being the meat. Sunday at the midday meal we had bacon-wrapped venison tenderloins with baked potato. For supper we had venison chili. This morning with our toast and scrambled eggs we had venison sausage. And in a few minutes we will be partaking of tonight's supper, country-style venison steak with pepper gravy.

Everything has tasted delicious. It has been a culinary treat. And there's even an "added bonus" as they say in infomercials: Deer meet contains less fat, less cholesterol, fewer calories, and more protein than beef or pork.

Who knows? One day I might become a vegetarian. But not today.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy Venison but wouldn't have chillied it. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the great state of Alabama."

    Great in terms of ticks and fireants you mean? I shouldn't knock it as my forebears on both sides lived there. One—a Heflin—was supposedly a senator but I don’t even know if that was state or national (my grandmother put an end to relations with that side of my family when she got pregnant by a brakeman and ran away from home at age 14). She could have been the subject of an old film noir about a wicked woman, and she later died as she had lived.

    Put a wreath on Bambi’s grave, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a vegetarian.
    And don't understand hunting. Hunting for food I can accept much more readily than trophy hunting though. Mind you, one of my very carniverous brothers tells me that vegetarian is just a shorter way of saying lousy hunter. He hunts the butchers and the supermarkets with skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian, it's very good.

    Snow, somehow I just knew you would be the one who would mention Bambi. There is a town of Heflin in eastern Alabama, the county seat of Cleburne County. There are also Senator Howell Heflin who served in the U.S. Senate from 1987 until 1992, and white supremacist Senator James Thomas Heflin who served in the U.S. Senate from 1921 until 1932. Blogging is so educational.

    EC, I do agree with you about people who kill animals "for sport" -- a horrible activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that your in-laws aren't being 'cheap'.

    I'm an unashamed carnivore and enjoy vension, but when we were in Nevada we went to a party where the hosts had half a deer in their living room. (The front half since you ask) Now that I did find a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Bambi! He lost his mummy and now you are eating him! Alabamistanis are heartless compared with the sophisticated socialites of neighbouring Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Georgia's lovely neighbor to the west, the great state of Alabama."

    Do I detect sarcasm? It’s just that I don’t recall you ever, even once, saying anything good about Alabama, and now you call it “great”? Great, how, exactly? Great big ticks? Great numbers of fireants? Great heat and humidity? Great numbers of squashed armadillos? Great big Baptist churches with teensy-tiny steeples? Inquiring minds want to know.

    "Hunting for food I can accept much more readily than trophy hunting though.”

    Killing things for food only feeds the body, but killing things for fun feeds the soul. I’m surprised that you don’t know this because you seem fairly intelligent. Not as intelligent as Rhymes and me of course (what with us being men) but still smarter than a lot of Alabamians (including the men), although you might not know that since you're a long, long way away from Alabama.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...