Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Agenda for the day


On Wednesday I plan to rise early and pick up my friend (the sound engineer from our church) who lives about a mile away and drive him to a hospital in Atlanta -- the drive can take anywhere from an hour to two hours, depending on morning rush-hour traffic -- to have surgery on his right shoulder as an outpatient, stay there until his surgery is finished and his time in the recovery area is over, and then drive him back home -- the drive can take anywhere from an hour to two hours, depending on afternoon rush-hour traffic -- where my wife will be waiting with homemade Southwestern soup, homemade cornbread, and homemade brownies.

This pretty much means blogging will be on the back burner on Wednesday.

I hereby promise not to publish any pictures of my friend’s shoulder.

Update, 6:30 p.m.: Today went well. I had intended to rise at 5:45 a.m. (something I haven’t done since I retired from the corporate world nine years ago) but instead I awoke at 3:15 a.m. and never went back to sleep. I think my feeble mind didn't trust the alarm clock to perform its designated duties and so it stayed awake just in case. The ride into the city took and hour and a half. The ride back out of the city took about an hour, mainly because we left a little before the afternoon rush hour began. My friend who had shoulder surgery said his cottage in heaven must not be ready yet because he is still here. As I drove into my neighborhood, a double rainbow filled the sky. The homemade Southwestern soup*, homemade cornbread, and homemade brownies mentioned in my original post were enjoyed by all!

Tomorrow afternoon I will drive to the Atlanta airport and pick up my friend’s oldest son, who will be arriving from San Jose, California, to visit his dad for a few days. When he goes back home, his younger brother will come for a few days as well. The ladies of the church choir will be providing my friend with evening meals for about a week.

Friday morning, I will be driving my friend back to the surgeon’s office to have the dressing and bandages changed. He has to be there at 7:30 a.m. this time so it looks like another very early morning for us all.

I’m not complaining. I actually feel useful for a change.

*The Southwestern soup is a recipe that appeared in
Southern Living magazine some time ago. The ingredients include ground beef, stewed Mexican-style tomatoes, green beans, whole kernel corn, onion, bell pepper, dark red kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, and chili seasoning. In what amounts or proportions, I haven't the faintest idea. --RWP

Update, 2/12/2009, 1:00 p.m.: Wouldn’t you know it -- I left out two ingredients: tomato sauce and chicken broth. My daughter has kindly provided the recipe for Southwestern soup in the comments section. --RWP

Update, 2/12/2009, 1:45 p.m.: I am given to understand that one uses beef broth, not chicken broth, when making Southwestern soup. --RWP

Update, 2/12/2009, 7:00 p.m.: I am further given to understand that it was Mrs. RWP’s idea to use beef broth. The original recipe in Southern Living called for water. --RWP

6 comments:

  1. Why all this time-consuming homemade stuff? Hasn't Mrs Plague heard of supermarkets or is it that you are too mean to provide the funds for her to shop in one of these establishments? By the way, hope your friend's shoulder op. went okay. Can't be easy riding home on the same day as the op..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yorkshire Pudding, Mrs. RWP said to tell you that she made all that homemade food because she wanted to. I am one fortunate husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the day was reasonable, if you call being awake at 0315 reasonable. Glad your friend is above ground and sounding chipper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it went well. That meal sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southwest Soup Recipe...
    Ingredients are, 1 and 1/2 pounds ground beef, medium onion (chopped),green bell pepper (diced), chili seasoning, 40 oz. chicken broth (or water or beef broth), one can tomato sauce, 2 cans Mexican style stewed tomatoes (I use the chili-ready diced tomatoes), one can of the following: light red kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, green beans, whole kernel corn. Drain and rinse all beans, drain green beans and corn.

    Brown ground beef, bell pepper and onion, then drain. Add chili seasoning, chicken broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a light boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to another boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about two hours.

    As Rachel Ray would say: "Delish!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought what Rachael Ray would say is "Yummo!"

    I'll have to listen more closely in the future.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...