Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Where did everybody go?

I’m disappointed that no one chose to play my little game. Me, I thought it was fascinating. Here are the actual names of the 29 towns:

1. Ball Ground*
2. Blue Ridge*
3. Cave Spring*
4. Locust Grove*
5. Sunny Side
6. College Park*
7. Dock Junction
8. Druid Hills*
9. Five Forks
10. Flowery Branch*
11. Lookout Mountain*
12. Mineral Bluff*
13. Powder Springs*
14. Pine Mountain*
15. Rocky Face*
16. Radium Springs
17. Sandy Springs*
18. Sea Island
19. Social Circle
20. Stone Mountain*
21. Sugar Hill*
22. Sugar Valley
23. Tallulah Falls*
24. The Rock
25. Tunnel Hill*
26. Twin Lakes*
27. Ty Ty
28. Villa Rica*
29. Young Harris*

And if you visit every last one of them, there’s still Fairplay and Hopeful* and Constitution and Hephzibah and Beulah and Talking Rock* and Between* and Washington and Jefferson and Monticello and Climax* and Needmore and even Stillmore left to visit.

I have placed an asterisk next to places I have visited.

4 comments:

  1. Your readers are serious, jaded, hard-bitten, hardcore, and downright belligerent. We don't play games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I got a few right! Amazing!

    Georgia had some creative place-namers in its history.

    I still think they should rename Tallulah Falls, Powder Springs and Pine Mountain as I have suggested.

    Arkansas has some interesting place names, too, like Oil Trough and Fifty-Six.

    I am neither serious, jaded, hardbitten, hardcore, nor downright belligerent. I play games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowbrush, my readers are serious, thoughtful, wonderful, sincere, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. Even you.

    Pat, we also have a Bankhead Highway that was named for Tallulah's father even though she hailed from Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhymes, you have an unfortunate tendency to see the good in people, but as you age, you will probably grow out of it.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...