Friday, January 11, 2013

Thai me kangaroo down, sport

In honor of a blogger friend of mine from Yorkshire who is currently working in Bangkok, I present the following recipe for your edification:

Pud Thai

8 oz. rice sticks/noodles
6-8 prawns
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon red curry paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
water, as needed
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 lime, wedged

Put rice noodles in large bowl covered in warm water and soak for at least 20 minutes. Heat wok to medium-high temperature. Stir fry prawns. Scramble egg in wok and set aside. Heat oil in wok on high setting. Add garlic and curry paste. Stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain noodles and add to wok. Fry the noodles, constantly turning and stirring them so that they cook evenly. Add sugar and fish sauce. If the noodles remain tough after about 5 minutes of frying, add about 1/4 cup of water and stir, letting the water absorb and boil off. Repeat as necessary. To serve, put noodles in a bowl and top with prawns, egg, peanuts, green onions, and bean sprouts. Serve lime wedges on a side plate. Serves: 4

Mmmm, yummy!

Readers in Australia may wish to use kangaroo instead of prawns.

In my last post I showed you the graves of Elvis Presley and Richard M. Nixon. Here is a photo I found today of them together, alive, in the Oval Office, which will enlarge if you click on it (the photo, I mean, not the Oval Office):


A photograph of Richard Nixon is germane to this, my first recipe in more than five years of blogging, because it prompts me to tell you something important:

I am not a cook.

5 comments:

  1. "Readers in Australia may wish to use kangaroo instead of prawns."

    Those in Louisiana might substitute armadillo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In New Zealand I guess we could use lamp or pork or chicken or beef...

    The problem with prawns (so my esteemed bird man tells me) is that the prawn farms are situated on the edge of the land, ie displacing that environment where the wading birds would like to probe the sediments when the tide is out...

    I wish I didn't enjoy the flavour of prawns so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Mr Brague.
    Your recipe was for "pad thai" mot "pud thai" which involves Yorkshire pudding with a thai soup filling. Pad thai makes a great meal. Why not set up a little streetfood stall in downtown Canton selling pad thai? It could boost your pension. Co-incidentally I was asking round for pad in the food zone of Rot Fai Park yesterday afternoon but couldn't locate any. It's not available as widely as people imagine so I just had some delicious chicken fried rice with spring onions and cabbage instead ( about $1 a plate)

    Best wishes from Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...