Friday, February 15, 2019

What a difference a hundred years can make!

Here are some of the songs people were singing in the year 1918:

Rock-A-Bye Your Baby (With A Dixie Melody)
I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
Oh! How I Hate To Get Up in the Morning
Smiles
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land
At The Darktown Strutter's Ball
Over There
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Hail! Hail! The Gang's All Here
Somewhere in France is the Lily
The Old Grey Mare
Liberty Loan March
If He Can Fight Like He Can Love (Good Night, Germany)
K-K-K-Katy (Stammering Song)
God Be With Our Boys Tonight

I know ten of these songs. I have never heard of five.

Here are The Top 50 Songs Of 2018 complete with extended descriptions and soundtracks.

I don't know any of them. I recognize the names of only a couple of the performers but could not tell you what they sound like.

All in all, I much prefer the 1918 songs.

Conclusion: I am an old geezer.

11 comments:

  1. There are 4 that I don't know. It was a good time for songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, it's remarkable that we still know so many when you consider that 1918 was before there were any radio stations in this country. There were records and sheet music and live performances only.

      Delete
  2. Well, I know 6 of the songs. I'm gong to have to try your 50 songs of 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, even I have not been brave enough to try to listen to the 50 songs of 2018. Good luck, and let us know how it went!

      Delete
  3. I am also an old geezer (of the feminine persuasion). Though I don't know nearly as many of the songs as either you or Emma. A non musical geezer. Or geezette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants's Child/Sue, surely you jest. I cannot think of you as either a geezer or a geezette.

      Delete
  4. There are 4 singers that I recognise from the 2018 songs. One, The Smashing Pumpkins, only because when our elder son died in 2006 he had arranged for a song by the Smashing Pumpkins to be played at the celebration of his life. I've never heard of them before of since until today. Obviously I'm au fait with the 1918 songs. Which do I prefer? Probably the earlier but as, so far as I'm aware, I've not heard any of the 2018 songs so it would be unfair of me to make a judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I didn't listen to the 2018 songs either but I made a judgement anyway. The titles and artists simply did not pique my interest.

      Delete
  5. Because you have moderation set and because my Firefox went bananas when I posted my comment I have no idea whether you have my comment or not.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...