Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Idle thoughts and random musings on a cold day in January

Some people are so instantly recognizable they don't need surnames:

Cher
Elvis
Marilyn
Elton
Madonna

Some pairs don't need surnames either:

Eleanor and Franklin
Bill and Hillary
Elizabeth and Philip
Fred and Ginger
Harry and Meghan
Sonny and Cher
Charles and Diana
Charles and Camilla
Donny and Marie
Nelson and Winnie
Napoleon and Josephine
Heloise and Abelard
Antony and Cleopatra

The last couple of couples didn't even have surnames.

Even some threesomes make the cut:

Patty, Maxine, and Laverne
Manny, Moe, and Jack
Larry, Curly, and Moe
Huey, Louie, and Dewey

If you don't recognize those trios, they're the Andrews Sisters, the Pep Boys, the Three Stooges, and Donald Duck's nephews.

Speaking of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, which we weren't but we shall now, have you ever wondered whether Meghan ever feels harried? (I made that up all by myself.)

Also, why does Shakespeare's wife remind us of a line from a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson? Answer: She lay her down with a will. (I made that one up too. The poem is "Requiem", by the way.)

Laugh it up, folks, these are the jokes. All groans will be counted as laughs.

What can I tell you? It has been a slow week.

A Day Late And A Dollar Short Department: I was going to tell Red that Alberta is east of British Columbia, not west, but Yorkshire Pudding got there first. I was going to tell John Grey that he misspelled the word solace, but Yorkshire Pudding once again beat me to it. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

The last sentence in the preceding pargraph has nothing whatsoever to do with your correspondent's gender identity, which is anything but fluid.

Until next time, I remain
Yr obdt svt

Yeah, right.

4 comments:

  1. Harried, Will - ha ha! Has Mrs B ever had her hair bobbed?
    I know an eightsome that is especially active at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasker, bobbed, yes, on many occasions, if you get my drift. Re your Christmas reference, I'm mulling whether reindeer count. I suppose if ducks do, then so do reindeer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YP often gets to read things a good few hours before you which may well explain his earlier commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, you are, of course, correct. I don't know why the time difference never occurred to me. The early bird (so to speak) gets the worm (so to speak) every time. Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious.

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...