Saturday, September 10, 2022

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

In the last little while I have composed half a dozen blogposts and discarded them all. Nothing satisfied.

I spent two days in hospital last week, during which time two kidney stones were surgically removed from my right side. The larger of them measured 7mm (approximately 1/4 inch). No one wants to read about that. No one wants an organ recital unless your name is Diane Bish (British, E. Power Biggs).

Queen Elizabeth II died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland at the age of 96. Unless you have been living under a rock, you know this.

I was hoping Prince Charles would choose to become King George VII, but no one ever listens to me.

A blogger friend, Rachel Phillips of Norfolk in the U.K., is in the midst of her first trip to Albania. Today, on Day 4, her post included a photograph of a statue in Vlorë and she also mentioned visiting the excavations and museum at Apollonia. My father-in-law was from Vlorë, which he called Vlonë, and my mother-in-law was from Fier, only 5km (3 miles) from Apollonia.

People often say it's a small world, but today it seems smaller than usual.

8 comments:

  1. A cheery organ recital might have been all right, e.g. Reginald Dixon: "Oh I do like to be beside the sea side...". Seriously, though, writing about such things can be helpful to those who might have to face them one day, in the same way that hospital reality programmes are popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, Mrs. RWP says kidney stones are the nearest a man can come to experiencing what a woman feels during childbirth. If that is true, I was in labor from 11 PM Monday night until 5 PM Tuesday afternoon. I don't want to have any more children. Ever.

      Delete
  2. I had a procedure to break and remove a kidney stone. Luckily it was accidentally discovered because I felt no discomfort. I'm sorry you had to endure that.
    It is a small world and getting smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you were very fortunate indeed to avoid what I can only call the excruciating pain of a large kidney stone. Discomfort is not a strong enough word.

      Delete
  3. Better out than in, is what they say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the kidney stones. One blocked the exit of my kidney and the results have been life changing. However the surgeon did a fantastic job (during three operations) and I have woken up every morning since so I'm not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham, thanks for commenting. I hope we both continue to wake up every morning for some time yet.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...