Thursday, December 29, 2022

Do you say ‘slow cooker’ or ‘crock pot’ or something else?

Im my last post (We Three Soups) I mentioned slow cookers. It occurred to me that some people call them crock pots, hence the title of this post. Here are some more things that people refer to in different ways:
  • trousers, slacks, pants
  • soft drink, soda, pop, tonic, Coke
  • potluck meal, covered dish meal
  • dinner, supper, tea
  • pants, underpants, skivvies, knickers, bloomers, drawers, panties
  • chick peas, garbonzo beans
  • navy beans, northern beans
  • Lima beans, butter beans
Most of those are regional differences within the US, but there are also many differences between American English and British English: chips/crisps, fries/chips, trunk/boot, hood/bonnet, truck/lorry, elevator/lift, diaper/napkin, zucchini/courgette, eggplant/aubergine. The list goes on and on.

Can you add any multi-named items to the list for our enlightenment? I can't think of a better thing to do on a cold winter day except long for Spring to arrive.

4 comments:

  1. Have a great year. I am blessed with a wee bit of brain so can swap between French, Spanish, Italian not so much, and German, very little. Guten arbent, alls est gemutilich, Ahh est da hunt. Gut hunt.
    I find it a bit odd that Americans think their version of English should be the preferred method of communication. I worked in the bottom of Florida for a few years and found Spanish worked a treat.
    Have a great year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, A happy 2023 to you as well. Have you taken down your blog? I can't seem to access it any more.

      Re the post, I was meaning different ways things are called within the same language, not Envlish v. Spanish, English v. German, English v. French, and so forth. Probably one reason some Americans (but not all) think the American way should prevail is that there are 330 million of us and only 60+ million of you. Might makes right, and all that. I'm an Anglophile myself.

      I do miss reading your posts.

      Delete
  2. I can't think of anything at the moment. I'm sure my head will flood with items in a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, our subconscious is always working away in the background.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...