Saturday, March 16, 2024

My new favorite poem

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins:

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful
silence to the famous barking dog solo,
that endless coda that first established
Beethoven as an innovative genius.

(end of poem)

I say purportedly because I could not find that title in a list of the complete poems of Billy Collins at Poetry Foundation. To be fair, however, I do not know when the list was compiled and Billy Collins, who is still alive and kcking, may well have written the poem since the list was put together, in which case the list needs to be updated.

I laughed when I read the poem and thought about the two big dogs, Rebel and Jasper, who live behind my next-door neighbor's fence. They go ballistic every time I take Abby out our back door. They sound ferocious, like they want to eat her if they could just get to her, and maybe me as well. Abby seems to enjoy setting them off but I do grow weary of the scenario.

I said to Mrs. RWP (the lovely Ellie), "Want to hear something crazy?" and read the poem aloud to her. She agreed that it was crazy, and I said, "I know! It's good but it's crazy! I think I'm crazy sometimes but I finally found someone crazier than me!"

Billy Collins and I are practically twins as we were both born in March 1941. Both of us turn 83 next week, me (I?) on Monday and him (he?) on Friday. Both of us write poems, some of them crazy. There is one minor difference between us, though. Billy Collins served as Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003; I have yet to be asked.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the poem. Some dogs do seem to bark incessantly, and it's not always in inverse ratio to size. Our dogs bark when there's a need, but who can define what 'need' is in a dog's world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbors' dogs seem to think that our yard is included in their territorial domain. I tell them to hush, but it doesn't do any good. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. Thank you for your comment, Janice.

      Delete
  2. My son's dog delights in starting the neighborhood racket. She goes outside and issues a hearty bark. Then she stands with a happy look on her face as every dog in the neighborhood begins to bark to answer her. If they stop she barks again to start them again. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt it for a minute. Dogs are smarter than people give them credit for. Maybe why that's why they are called "man's best friend". Our little girl can also be stubborn when she wants to. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  3. Fortunately, we have never suffered from barking dogs in our neighbourhood. It must be pretty wearing. Happy Birthday for Monday 18th Bob. I note that Wilson Pickett was born on the same day as you but you probably knew that already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did not know that Wilson Pickett was born on the same day and in the same year I was, but I did know that U.S. President Grover Cleveland was born on the same day more than a century earlier. Through my father, old Grover and I are 3rd cousins, 11 times removed, if memory serves. My great-grandmother wa a woman named Bloomy Jane Cleveland. Thanks for commenting, Neil.

      Delete
    2. Now it is your birthday, why not listen to Wilson Pickett's famous song, "In The Midnight Hour"? Perhaps you could play it on your keyboard and sing along? Ellie will be thrilled.

      Delete
    3. I will take your suggestion under advisement but I do not know that Ellie will be thrilled. I do know that I shall never see 82 again and that in a mere four more months I will be exactly five/sixths (83.3333%) of a century old. Thanks again, Neil.

      Delete
  4. Billy Collins is one of my most-favorite poets. Staggering talent. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came to him quite late. I suppose I wasn't paying attention. A few years ago I was brash enough to juxtapose some of my poems with some of his. Check out my August 12, 2016 post, "A Tale Of Two Billys". Thank you for commenting, Jenny.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...