Wednesday, April 10, 2024

How’s that again?

I did not make this up. Here is an honest-to-God, actual sentence that someone here in Georgia, in all seriousness, included in a Facebook post this week:

"I think people have forgotten that it is due to others as you would have them, do one to you."

I doubt that the writer had any idea what she was trying to say. The Anerican South has often been called The Bible Belt because of the supposed widespread influence of Christian teachings in that part of the nation, but I have never before encountered such a complete mangling of the Golden Rule.

Short and sweet today. Comments, as always, are not only encouraged but also, in most cases, gratefully accepted. If you deviate from community standards, however, someone may come along and do one to you.

10 comments:

  1. LOL! which exact "one" is going to be done to us?
    Watching a TV show this week I saw a Rabbi saying the Torah includes the golden rule. Pretty sure it doesn't but I'm glad he's living by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Leviticus 19:18, which is in the Torah, does say "thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" which is not exactly the Golden Rule. However, Jesus did use it as part of his answer to the question "Which is the greatest commandment?" -- does that count? Thank you, kylie.

      Delete
    2. I should have known better than to question a rabbi!

      Delete
    3. I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be a rabbi. Can't imagine where you got that idea! I have not even been bar mitzvahed. I am a Christian through and through, with a Jewish heritage on the maternal line. But I do appreciate the vote of confidence, at least I think it is a vote of confidence. Thank you, for commenting, kylie!

      Delete
  2. That really is garbled! So much that one reads is difficult to understand, though. Newspaper headlines are particularly mystifying,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had to stop and start over again when I read it. Just the other day I wrote on this blog that the goal of the Society for Technical Communication was that every sentence have a single meaning, clearly understood at the first reading. This garbled Golden Rule did not make the grade! Even the non-Oxford comma didn't help. Thank you, Janice.

      Delete
  3. That is one of those statements that means absolutely nothing. It's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. It's gibberish. Unintentional gibberish, but gibberish nonetheless. Thank you, Emma

      Delete
  4. Bless his or her heart!!!! I'll bet they were just as earnest as they could be, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a southerner or a southerner at heart, for that is exactly the response a southerner would make, "Bless his/her heart!!" Comedian Chonda Pierce says "Bless his heart" is southern for "He's so stupid." Thank you, Debby.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...