Thursday, January 28, 2016

Be warned

...in case you missed this:

The Official Buzz from Blogger at Google

An update on Google Friend Connect

December 21, 2015

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer


If I were still in the Boy Scouts, posting this would count as my good deed for the day.

5 comments:

  1. I shall consider myself told once I've worked out what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Google are trying to take over the planet and can foresee a mammoth battle between the followers of Google and the Islamic State.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that stuff is too much to figure out & worry over for my little brain. I have very few followers but get a fair number of views. I really think of my blog as my journal. Better than a diary as I can keep pictures this way, too. And if, along the way, I inspire or cause a bit of enjoyment for any soul out there, or cause anyone to consider their walk with the Lord, then my blogging is worthwhile to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, every change Google makes will "improve our experience," because they so deeply care about our happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Parrots, sounds like a plan to me.

    YP, it will undoubtedly be called the Battle of Armagoogledon.

    Hilly, my followers fell from 140 to 132 but only a few people ever actually comment.

    Snow, deeply, yes.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...