Monday, July 26, 2010

Tying up a few loose ends and creating a few others

Life isn’t always peaches and cream. The rest of the story I started telling you about in my last post is:

The Babylonian army pursued King Zedekiah and overtook him in the plains of Jericho. All his soldiers were separated from him and scattered, and he was captured and taken to Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, at Riblah, where sentence was pronounced on him. They slew the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes. Then they put out his eyes, bound him with bronze shackles, and took him to Babylon, where he died.

Thomas Wolfe (the one born in Asheville, North Carolina, who wrote Look Homeward Angel, not the one born in Richmond, Virginia, who wrote The Right Stuff) was right. Sometimes you can’t go home again.

I don’t know why anyone would think life is always peaches and cream anyhow, unless you are one of those Hollywood celebrities who earns millions of dollars and lives in big mansions in places like Malibu and Maui and Aspen and the Hamptons and wears expensive clothes and drives expensive cars and has fans drooling for your autograph every time you turn around and you can’t even go out for a simple lobster with your squeeze du jour without being hounded by paparazzi exploding flashbulbs in your face. You know what? I suspect that even peaches and cream ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

In other news, Mr. David H. Barlow of Tooele/Ephraim/Manti, Utah, reports that he is “of joseph who was sold into egypt and his son ephraim, branches over the wAll to america and down to tony mike dan braydon, owie josh and andrew, LEAVING OUT ALL THE GIRLS JUST ACCOUNTING FOR MALE POSTERITY” [capitalization and punctuation his]. All righty, then. As accounting for male posteriors is not what this blog is all about, let us hurry along to other subjects.

Speaking of the right stuff, can you name the original seven Mercury astronauts without cheating? Here are a couple of public-domain NASA photos of them to help jog your memory:



As long as we’re naming people, can you name these two?


Finally, before you toddle off to read someone else’s blog, which of the following captions describes the last photo best?

(a) Bubble and Squeak
(b) Peaches and Cream
(c) Two Fat Ladies
(d) Ye Gods and Little Fishes
(e) All of the above

8 comments:

  1. on yur 588th post you name david h barlow again and i must say i am in a funk time sorely because i quit blogging>>oh here i am createing loose ends by my giving you my dilema >at church i am shunned, my family thjinks almost everyone is smarter than me, and my neighbors all being jet packed tea partiers tell me to stay in bed with my head under a pillow and since i don't blog i have no one to keep me company>>

    ReplyDelete
  2. p,s, did you know an anon told me that blogging ends at 600 postts>>>.you knowI DIN'T KNOW THAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putz, Putz, Putz, keep reading other people's blogs and commenting on them and you won't lack for company. Of course, it will be of the cerebral type and not the flesh-and-blood type, but almost, if you squint and hold your tongue just so. Alternatively (and this is what I recommend), just start blogging again. When you type in all capital letters in blogging, it is considered shouting, and may I just say THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF POSTS YOU CAN, SHOULD, OR ARE ALLOWED TO CREATE. Others may try to tell you otherwise, BUT DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.

    This has been my good deed for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last picture in this rambling yet nonetheless interesting post was of Clarissa Dickson-Wright and Jennifer Paterson (deceased)- the "Two Fat Ladies" of TV cookery fame. May I make it clear that some English ladies are more attractive than the two you selected. Not exactly Cameron Diaz and Sharon Stone are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YP, no, but in my book they look more like Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida than Cameron Diaz and Sharon Stone do. Hey, I never said my eyesight was perfect, and we all know that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, as always. Your mind works in mysterious ways though. However did you manage to included the Two Fat Ladies? I mean, I know how you managed to include them, but where did the thought of doing that come from? Or have I missed something and was it the logical thing to do? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All commenters, it's interesting to me that no one tried to identify the astronauts. Is this just too trivial to bother with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolina, I have no idea. Does a fish know why it swims? Does a bird know why it flies? Not that I am a bird or a fish, but you get what I'm saying. Maybe it was the phrase "peaches and cream" that conjured up the very opposite -- who knows? But thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...