Friday, June 29, 2012

So near and yet so far.

Blogger’s overview page says this blog has 995 posts, but the page that lists all of the individual posts says there are 994 posts. One of those numbers is true, I suppose, but I don’t know which one, and I am not going to count all the posts personally to find out. I do know, however, that both of them can’t be true.

If one of you would like to undertake that task and report back to me no later than Tuesday, you will not have to take the final examination.

That thingy over there on the right says this blog has 97 followers. At one point the number had reached 98, but it slipped back to 96, and now says 97. At least one of the followers is shown twice, though, so maybe 96 is the correct number. Maybe even 95.

Not quite 1000 posts. Not quite 100 followers.

So near and yet so far.

I am reminded of the opening lyrics of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s song “Is A Puzzlement” from the musical The King and I:

When I was a boy
World was better spot
What was so was so
What was not was not
Now I am a man
World have changed a lot
Some things nearly so
Others nearly not

Does it matter whether I have 96 or 97 followers?

No.

Does it matter whether I ever reach 1000 posts?

No.

Does it matter that President Obama insisted in his interview with George Stephanopoulous that the individual mandate portion of his healthcare legislation was not a tax and now Chief Justice John Roberts, writing the majority decision in the case U.S. Department of Health and Human Services v. Florida, says the mandate is a tax?

Yes.

It matters a great deal.

So near and yet so far.

Just like November.

8 comments:

  1. you have 500 posts which is your limit and then you have 500 posts once again<>i know<>><i din't count but i do know and followers are like sheep baaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I counted them four times, and each time the number was 1,163 except for the second and third times when it was only 945. As for how many followers you have, I would simply point out that quality is more important than quantity, and that I am one of your followers along with sundry other persons of power, wealth, valor, and influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What I love about your posts is that they often seem to be about nothing, until all of a sudden, they are most definitely about something.

    Glad to know you, Bob.
    Such as I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putz, and I may well have 500 a third time. Who knows? Your assignment today is to read the tenth chapter of the Gospel according to St. John.

    Snow, you definitely get an E for effort, but I cannot exempt you from taking the final examination because I still don't know how many posts I have written.

    LightExpectations, thank you very kindly, ma'am. I'm glad to know you, too. Such as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "What I love about your posts is that they often seem to be about nothing, until all of a sudden, they are most definitely about something."

    Which is just the opposite of my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A US Marine, to whom I was once engaged, used to say 'Near enough is good enough except in horseshoes and grenades'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or as my Nan used to say, 'as near as dammit is to swearing'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the same thing...only different.

    Prager is talking about this stuff, right now:

    http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/player/flash/audio_player.php?id=PRAGIR&uid=610

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...