Thursday, July 12, 2012

How green is your valet?

A friend I have never met, a woman who lives in the Southern Hemisphere and whose painting of grapes adorns my kitchen wall, has asked readers of her blog to pass something along to you. I said, “Consider it done.”

Hence, this post.

The subject, friends, is paper towels.

Thirteen billion pounds of paper towels are used each year. (The statement is in the passive voice, so it is impossible to know exactly by whom all these paper towels are used, but it simply cannot be helped.)

If each person used one paper towel per day less, 571,230,000 pounds of paper could be saved each year.

These are awesome numbers.

In the little presentation I am about to, er, present, the number 12 also figures prominently.

Here is the little presentation (4:28). Please watch.

Now that you have wasted a precious four minutes and 28 seconds of your life that can never be recovered, can you tell me how the numbers 11 and 10 are also a part of that video?

5 comments:

  1. As I said to Katherine, Okay, I'll do it, but where do I store all the paper towels I save?

    And I've watched the video again and threw in the (paper) towel trying to spot the 10 and 11 connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoiler Alert: If you want to try to figure out the 11 and 10 thing yourself, stop reading this comment now!

    A hint to Shooting Parrots: Don't listen to what he's saying; watch his hands instead and count the number of times he actually shakes them. I am nothing if not observant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started doing my bit to save the trees yesterday!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Zealand is in the Southern Hemisphere? I lived in Mississippi, and I never went there, although I did go all the way to Texas once. Those New Zealanders must have stayed pretty quiet during the Civil War, because there are no monuments to them at Vicksburg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. I feel like the proverbial fly on the wall. Or the non-proverbial painting of grapes on the wall.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...