Thursday, April 9, 2015

If you encountered a file called “Carriage with horses” wouldn’t you expect to see...

this?



or this?

or perhaps even this?

When I encountered a file called “Carriage with horses” I didn’t see any of those. I saw this:

(Used in accordance with CC-BY-SA-2.0)

One has to look very closely to find the ear and neck of one black member of subspecies Equus ferus caballus. One. Singular. Horse, not horses. The only thing plural in that photograph are members of the royal family, and I for one thought it was rather rude to refer to the Queen, the Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall (whose chapeau brings to mind the late Queen Mother) in that way. Even allowing for the late Joan Rivers’s unkind impression of the Princess Royal, “Carriage with horses” is a definite misnomer.

If you don’t believe that such a file exists, click here.

After examining that photograph in detail, however, I concluded that there must not be a bare head in all of England. Makers of hats and helmets will never go hungry in the U.K.

4 comments:

  1. I read an article on Google's Research blog this week that talked about their Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) that detect and classify objects in static images - moving this technology to video (a series of still images). If anyone would be interested in this technology (other than me) your blog post suggests it might be you Sir Robert. http://googleresearch.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/beyond-short-snippets-deep-networks-for.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/gJZg+(Official+Google+Research+Blog) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I for one thought it was rather rude to refer to the Queen, the Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall (whose chapeau brings to mind the late Queen Mother) in that way."

    To the horses, maybe, the horses not being parasitical. It seems to me an awfully small nation to support so many non-contributing people in such a grand style. When it took one of my English friends a month or more to get an "emergency" medical test recently, I figured that a member of the royal family could probably have gotten it the same day, and it seemed to me that there's something appallingly unfair about that. I mean who is supporting who here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it refers to the Queen's preferred carriage partners. I am certain that she would prefer to spend time with horses or corgis than people. And given her family don't entirely blame her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, if I hurry, maybe I will be the first commenter on your new blog!

    Snowbrush, I think it is rude to people (not to horses) to refer to people as horses, even though I have nothing against horses. Horses are great. Parasitical Horses would be a great name for a rock band!

    Elephant's Child (Sue), as people in the U.S. sometimes say, tell us how you really feel!

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...