Thursday, April 11, 2019

"Chronic stress and uncertainty during childhood makes stress more difficult to deal with as an adult. "

Ya think?

Nothing is ever quite that simple.

The sentence in the title was written by Christian H. Cooper and is from an article that is way above my pay grade for the most part but fascinating nevertheless. Entitled "Why Poverty Is Like A Disease", it was first published on Nautilus in 2017 and was recommended by Pocket on my New Tab page when I signed onto my computer with Mozilla this morning. I have linked to it for your convenience.

I recommend it too. You may be tempted to give up but I hope you don't. I hope you make it through the whole thing. If I waded through it, so can you. Your comments, as always, are welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of the article is also above my pay grade, but I found it fascinating. It gave me some answers which make sense and raises a heap of questions...
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child, glad to have been of service then (helping you making sense, I mean, not raising a heap of questions).

      Delete
  2. I waded through and though it's my topic, I still found it a hard read.
    Epigenetics is a field which is revolutionising our understanding of health and humanity. It's a scientific example of the old testament idea about the sins of the fathers impacting four generations
    Advancement by merit is a lie propagated by the powerful to blame the oppressed for their oppression. May His kingdom come because that is the only answer to this scourge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read every word of Christian H. Cooper's passionate yet well-considered article. This fellow knows what he is talking about when it comes to poverty. Poverty isn't just about money or lack of opportunity. It becomes who you are and it gets into your bones. Reading it - I felt as though I was back in university - but the effort was very worthwhile. Much food for thought. Thank you for sharing Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yorkshire Pudding, I am tempted to say "My work here is done" but I'm certain that it isn't.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...