Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Mind numbingly hot

Not here. Other places, if the telly is to be believed. Pennsylvania. England.

It's August already and my blogging output seems to be slowing once again. After finally showing you my Dad in the previous post after all these years (12) my brain needed a rest.

Isaac Newton was right. Objects at rest tend to remain at rest, and objects in motion tend to remain in motion.

So I decided to bestir myself and post something even though there is not much about which to post, truth be told.

Hiroshima Day came and went yesterday with not a mention on the telly of what happened in Japan 74 years ago. Go figure. Of course, we don't watch much news. We watch Animal Planet and The Game Show Network mostly. Oh, and lots of home renovation shows on HGTV. And programs about families with dwarfism or parents with sextuplets on something called The Learning Channel which includes programs on many bizarre subjects I would have preferred not to learn about.

One wouldn’t expect to hear about the dropping of atomic bombs on such channels, now would one?

One wouldn’t.

So I will just wander (not lonely as a cloud, mushroom-shaped or otherwise) and see what happens.

We are leaving on Friday to spend a few days in Alabamistan at our daughter's residence. It is not in the same place as when last we went, as daughter is now the principal of an elementary school about two hours away from the area where she and her family have lived for the last quarter-century. Since her youngest son graduated from high school in May and will be attending the same university as his older brother, the decision to move was easier. And although her husband (our son-in-law) will be having a longer commute to his same job from a different direction, he is all in. They lived somewhat north of Birmingham and he works in one of the city's southern suburbs. His commute was already 45 minutes; now it will be about 30 minutes longer but through much lighter traffic. In Atlanta that would be considered an improvement.

Our daughter is getting a significant increase in salary as a result of the promotion from assistant principal to principal. But it is not all about the Benjamins. For non-U.S. readers, Benjamin Franklin's image is on our hundred dollar bills. To call hundred-dollar bills Benjamins is an example of either synecdoche or metonymy. I can never remember which and I don't feel like looking it up just now.

Maybe you could and let me know.

The general malaise, otherwise known as The Dog Days thanks to the positioning of the star Sirius in the night sky, continues.

Many things have been happening in the news of late, but I don't want to think about them.

I want to think about how much more pleasant an afternoon at the beach would be if only the sea weren't so salty.

Do you think my mind is going?

Vote YES or NO in the comments, and state your reasons for thinking so.

Out in Plano, Texas, where my stepbrother and his wife live, it will be over 100 degrees Fahrenheit every day this week.

Now that is truly mind numbingly hot. But it's a dry heat, of course.

Everybody says so.

For the record, I am voting YES.

19 comments:

  1. You get a resounding YES from me. It is wonderful that your mind is still so active and racing away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I was so shocked by your answer that I had to go back and re-read the question. I guess I could have worded it better. When I said, "Do you think my mind is going?" I meant as in going away, losing it, on the road to cuckoo land. I'm hoping you read it instead as "Is my mind still active?" Undoubtedly it is active -- witness this post -- but here's where the rubber meets the road: am I losing it?

      I hope you decide to change your resounding YES to a resounding NO!! If you stick with your original answer, thank you for the compliment and you are still my cyberfriend!

      Delete
  2. Okay, so where is your mind going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, sorry for any confusion. See Emma's answer above and my response to her.

      Delete
  3. IF your mind is going, it will have plenty of company on the journey.
    I am glad to say that Hiroshima Day was celebrated here with the tolling of the Peace Bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm sure you are right. And it's good to know Australia remembers.

      Delete
  4. " synecdoche or metonymy." Every day is a school day.

    As for your vote. I was going to vote NO until I saw the first response and wondered why it was a YES and favourable. I hadn't seen the double possible meaning. So, to clarify, you seem to me to have a perfectly sound mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, thank you, kind sir. All of us with perfectly sound minds will be carted off to the lunatic asylum together, in all likelihood.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your newsy post. Even the Willamette Valley has been hot of late, although it was almost chilly for much of today.

    You wrote something about Antifa recently (on my blog). Well, tomorrow, Eugene is to have a gay pride parade, a "God, Guns and Trump" armed rally (at which Antifa promises to appear), and a huge crafts market, all downtown, so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowbrush, I didn't think of this post as "newsy" when I was writing it. I have heard Dr. Phil say on his television program that perception is reality, though, so you may be right.

      Delete
  6. Your mind is fine. Your vocabulary seems deficient on this occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! Leave it to you, kylie, to cut through the weeds and get to the heart of the matter.

      Delete
  7. YES. Most definitely...though it seems to me that your mind has been "going" in all the years I have dipped in and out of your blog. It has been "going" into the past and into the future and into the various topics that have caught your interest. It is a good kind of "going" I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "it seems to me that your mind has been "going" in all the years I have dipped in and out of your blog."

      But is his sanity and intelligence diminishing, or is ours increasing?

      Delete
    2. Could there be a third option Snowbrush? Constancy.

      Delete
    3. As always, I am surprised and amazed by your wisdom and erudition.

      Delete
    4. Yorkshire Pudding, it's always good to receive a vote of confidence -- at least I think it is a vote of confidence -- from your direction.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...