Monday, September 16, 2019

A musical foray (see what I did there?)

One of my all-time favorite pieces of music is the hauntingly beautiful Sicilenne Op.78 by the French composer Gabriel Fauré (1845-1924).

In the-online-reference-source-that-must-not-be-named I learned that there have been many different arrangements of the piece for various instruments. Specifically, "[T]he cello and piano and full orchestral versions of the Sicilienne have been recorded many times. There are also recordings of arrangements, not by Fauré, for bassoon and piano; cello and guitar; cello and harp; flute and guitar; flute and harp; flute and piano; guitar and orchestra; solo guitar; solo harp; oboe and piano; panpipes and piano; saxophone and orchestra; saxophone quartet; tuba and piano; viola and piano; vocal ensemble; and voice and harp."

Also, oddly, "[T]he cello and piano version is in G minor in 6/8 time. It is marked andantino with a metronome mark of dotted crotchet = 50. The full orchestral version, also G minor, is marked allegretto molto moderato. The playing time of the piece is typically between three and a half and four minutes."

For the musical novice, andantino means kind of slow, but not too slow, and allegretto means kind of fast, but not too fast.

All righty, then. Let us coninue.

I would like for you to listen to just three of the various arrangements and tell me your reactions afterward.

1. Here is a beautiful arrangement of it for orchestra and flute featuring James Galway on flute (3:59).

2. Here is an arrangement of it for flute and harp. Although it is beautiful to listen to, it was difficult for me to watch because of what can only be described as the helicopter movements of the flute player. From 2013, here are Olga Zmanovskaya on flute and Elizaveta Bushueva on harp (3:43).

3. I find this one most moving, but then I like the instruments involved. It is for cello and piano (3:54).

I bet you thought we were through.

I lied.

4. For blog readers who are more visual than aural, here is a fourth clip I want you to watch. It is like looking at a piano roll on an old-time player piano (4:18). I hope you like it.

Now we're done.

At least I didn't subject you to the tuba.

Be sure to give me your opinions in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. I liked the second version best. The harp added an ethereal sound. In the third version I felt as if the piano was a bit distracting. The first version was good also. As for the fourth I thought the piano roll visual was inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, a harp is very difficult to play. Did you know it has seven pedals? The third version (cello and piano) were Faure's original choices of instruments, I think. Sicilienne is not a cello solo with piano accompaniment; it was written for two instruments, cello and piano.

      Delete
  2. I preferred the cello and piano version. The cello seemed to fit the somewhat melancholic mood of this composition really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire P., I'm with you. And melancholic is the right word.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the third one best as it seemed fuller and more complete. The final one is interesting but I found it to be distracting from the music. My son graduated with a doctorate in music and I so enjoyed attending all of the university performances. If you live near a university with a music program it offers many opportunities for wonderful performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, do I detect a trend? My son graduated with a master's degree in music from Eastman in Rochester, NY, but he did not go on for a doctorate.

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...