Wednesday, September 4, 2019

When dangling, watch your participles

I, the great Rhymeswithplague, Lord Protector Of My Little Corner Of The World And Master (Usually) Of All I Survey, have a confession to make.

While reading through the previous post this morning, I discovered that I had created and actually published a sentence containing a dangling participle.

Lo, how the mighty have fallen.

The offending sentence was this:

"After sailing through the Panama Canal a couple of times on his way to places like Oregon and southern California and Florida and the icy waters off the coast of Greenland, his last duty assignment in the Navy happened to be Quonset Point, Rhode Island."

That is simply impossible. My dad's last duty assignment in the Navy, Quonset Point, Rhode Island, never sailed through the Panama Canal even once, let alone visit Oregon, southern California, Florida, or the icy waters off the coast of Greenland.

Do you see the difference? My dad did those things, not his last duty assignment in the Navy, Quonset Point, Rhode Island, but since the subject of the sentence was the latter, that's what the participial phrase at the beginning is modifying.

Here are some ways I could have written the sentence better:

  • After sailing through ...icy waters off the coast of Greenland, the man made his way to his last duty assignment in the Navy Quonset Point, Rhode Island.
  • After the man sailed through the Panamal Canal a couple of times...coast of Greenland, his last duty assignment in the Navy ....
  • After sailing through the Panama Canal to ...the coast of Greenland, he was assigned to....

At least he was the one doing the sailing in those versions, which is only fitting and proper.

On a website called softschools.com, I found these amusing examples of dangling participles:

1) Speeding through the tunnel, the station came into view. (the station was not speeding through the tunnel, a person was, on a train presumably.)

2) Broken into pieces, I swept up the glass. (the person was not broken into pieces, the glass was.)

3) Forgetting all about class, the weather was perfect at the beach! (the weather did not forget all about class, the person who went to the beach did.)

4) Making my bed, the stuffed animals were on the floor. (the animals are not making the bed)

5) Petting his head, my dog enjoyed my company. (the dog is not petting his own head)

6) Wishing for a pony, the farm was a magical place for me. (the farm is not wishing for a pony)

7) Walking through the woods, the trees were magnificent. (the trees are not walking)

8) Freezing our hands off, the snow was fun to play in. (the snow is not freezing its hands off)

9) Reading quickly, the book was too exciting to put down. (the book is not reading quickly)

Nine examples are more than enough. It borders on overkill.

By now, dear reader, you know what is wrong with the title of this post (and if you don't, you haven’t been paying attention: it is not you who are dangling, it is your participles).

Which example of a dangling participle tickled your fancy the most?

14 comments:

  1. I must say, however, that if a person is dangling, he/she should watch his/her participles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, well he should. I don't think females have participles.

      Delete
  2. Long sentences frequently dangle participles behind them. While I dislike what I know of the man who was Ernest Hemingway I doubt he dangled a participle in his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, he didn't. He wrote short, simple sentences. For the most part. No ornamentation. Especially not participles. (In case you didn't notice, I'm imitating him here.)

      Delete
  3. Ok ... Participles. I still think basic grammar should be taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, isn't basic grammar taught in Canada any more? It still is taught here, but nobody listens.

      Delete
  4. Apparently no one's fancy was tickled by any of the examples of dangling participles. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a strange sort of way the examples you gave are amusing because they are short and obvious. Your original example certainly was not noticed by me because the meaning was obvious. I'm told that grammar is not taught here as such in many schools. The Great Majority would have no idea that "That having been done" was the ablative absolute. Abiit ad plures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that you might enjoy the following news headline from the US "Bahamians evacuating after Dorian told to get off a ferry headed to the US". So that's how Dorian travelled.

      Delete
    2. Graham, I learned about ablative in Latin class, where all of the nouns and adjectives had happy endings. In English class I learned that the subject of a gerund should be in the possessive case (my arriving on time was purely accidental), not to ever split an infinitive, and that a preposition was a word I shouldn't end a sentence with.

      Delete
  6. I liked "forgetting about class, the weather was perfect at the beach"
    The inference that going to the beach is a class issue is simultaneously horrific and hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, not that kind of class! Class as in Algebra class and Math class. But your point is well taken.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure they have to be at the beginning. My wife's family have a story that her aunt during in her schooldays told the teacher "I found this glove running for the bus".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T.D., you are correct, they don't have to be at the beginning. What makes them dangling is the noun they seem, erroneously, to be modifying.

      P.S. -- Welcome to my blog!

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...