Monday, December 30, 2019

Ever the pedant, I continue

Did you know that natives of Miami, Florida, say "Miam-uh" and natives of Cincinnati, Ohio, say "Cincinnat-uh" and natives of Missouri say "Missour-uh"?

Well, they do.

Atlanta, Georgia, has a street named Ponce de Leon but it is not pronounced “PONT-suh day Lay-OWN” or even the way speakers of Castilian Spanish might say it, “PON-thuh day Lay-OWN”. No, friends, the street in Atlanta is pronounced “PONTS duh LEE-on”.

People all over the world say “Hew-ston” when they’re talking about the largest city in Texas, but Houston Street in Atlanta and Houston County in Georgia are both pronounced “House-ton”.

I kid you not.

My mother referred to Houston, Texas, as “You-ston” but she was from Philadelphia. She and Donald Trump both call (or, in her case, called) very big things “yuge”. He is from New York but he did receive a B.S. in Economics from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Maybe going there affected his speech.

For those of you who travel to Texas, I can assure you that you will be laughed at or at least be looked askance at if you put a “Wax” in Waxahachie. It’s “Walks”.

Natchitoches, Louisiana, where Steel Magnolias was filmed, has only three syllables and they are pronounced ”NACK-uh-tush”. Its sister city, Nacogdoches, Texas, is pronounced “Nack-uh-DOACH-es” however.

People who live in Boca Raton in Palm Beach County, Florida, say “Boca Ruh-TONE” but many other people say “Boca Ruh-TAHN”.

Residents of New Orleans do not say “Nawlins” despite what you may have been told. They say "Noo-AW-lins". No one should ever say "new-or-LEENS". Residents of Baton Rouge say “Batten Rouge”. Please remember when you mention the state where those cities are located that it was named for Louis, not Louise.

In Kentucky, the town of Versailles is pronounced “Ver-SAYLES”, not at all like the one in France. Don’t even attempt Louisville.

When you go to Egypt say “Kye-ro” but in both Cairo, Illinois, and Cairo, Georgia, remember to say “Care-oh” instead.

In Peru, the city of Lima may be “Lee-muh” but the city in Ohio is “Lye-muh”.

I could go on and on. La Jolla, California, is pronounced "La HOY-a" just the way Spaniards would say it. Des Moines, Iowa, is pronounced "Duh Moyn" just the way the French would NOT say it. In Illinois, Des Plaines is pronounced "Dess Playns".

But I grow weary, so I'm pretty sure you do also.

I will make a real attempt to be less pedantic in the New Year.

13 comments:

  1. Names of cities and towns are often confusing. Next you will have to tackle street names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I don't think I have enough time left in my life to tackle street names, but thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. Well, well, well. Next time a resident of the United States of America laughs at the fact that we pronounce Cholmondelly, Chumlee or Kirkudbright, Care coo bree, I shall remember your post. Thank you. Every day is a school day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be quite confusing when you travel, but I can confirm that Missouri is indeed pronounced "Missour-uh" by those of us that live here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I have been to St. Joseph, Hannibal, St. Louis, Springfield, Sikeston, Jefferson City, Branson, and lots of other places in Missour-uh. I don't think I have ever been to Joplin or Cape Girardeau.

      Delete
  4. You should come to Barnsley - or just watch 'Kes'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, I had never heard of Kes and had to look it up. It was never released in the U.S. commercially because it was difficult for Americans to understand what the actors were saying (according to Roger Ebert, the film critic from Chicago).

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I am sure that I would have mispronounced many of those places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on being pedantic. I liked this post and you haven't taken a look at Canadian pronunciations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, so when I am ote and abote I should keep my ears open for Canadian accents, eh?

      "Keep on being pedantic" is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...