Monday, February 24, 2020

Life is not a bowl of cherries

I thought of another pet peeve: People who say prostrate when what they should have said is prostate.

It's just my personal opinion, but I don't think there are many places outside of a doctor's office where the word a person should have said is prostate.

Moving right along...

Erma Bombeck (1927-1996) was a woman from Ohio who is best known for her humorous newspaper columns and 15 books, most of which became best-sellers if Wikipedia is to be believed.

I don't know about the insides of her books, but some of her titles are very humorous. They include:

I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression (1974)
The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank (1976)
Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession (1983)
If You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time To Go Home (1991)

We will not be going down any of those particular rabbit trails today, but what you choose to do in the privacy of your own home in your spare time is entirely up to you, of course.

The rabbit trail we have chosen for today is Erma Bombeck's 1978 title, If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?

When I said Erma Bombeck is best-known for her humorous newspaper columns I didn't mean that the newspapers were humorous, I meant that her columns were humorous and appeared in newspapers. By the way, where else would columns appear? Magazines have articles; newspapers have columns. Do I have to explain everything to you?

Getting back to cherries, way back in 1931 Lew Brown and Ray Henderson wrote a song called "Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries" that went like this:

Life is just a bowl of cherries;
Don't make it serious;
Life's too mysterious.
You work, you save, you worry so,
But you can't take your dough when you go, go, go.
So keep repeating it's the berries;
The strongest oak must fall.
The sweet things in life
To you were just loaned,
So how can you lose what you've never owned?
Life is just a bowl of cherries,
So live and laugh at it all.

I think Messrs. Brown and Henderson were delusional. In 1931 Herbert Hoover was presiding over a deepening Great Depression. The stock market had crashed two years earlier. Banks were failing right and left. The dust bowl was just about to appear over the horizon. Life is just a bowl of cherries? Seriously?

I have thunk and thunk on the subject (you would probably say thought and thought but this is my blog) and it is my considered opinion that life is not a bowl of cherries.

What is life exactly?

Those of you are tempted to tell me that Voltaire said, “Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats” will be stunned to learn that it was historian Peter Gay who said that, not Voltaire, according to the quoteinvestigator.com website.

St. James said, or at least he would have if he had spoken English of the King James variety, “What is your life? It is even a vapour that appeareth for a little time and then vanisheth away.”

William Shakespeare put the following into the mouth of Macbeth, in iambic pentameter yet: “Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, / That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, / And then is heard no more. It is a tale / Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, / Signifying nothing.”

Perhaps things are not quite that dire.

Or maybe they are, but we can amuse ourselves in the meantime by reading books by Erma Bombeck.

That advice from 1931 is worth considering.

Live and laugh at it all.

10 comments:

  1. You sure do cover a lot of subjects in your posts. I like it as long as I can keep up. I always enjoyed the writings of Erma Bombeck. In fact I have one of her books: Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession.

    And do you know the song: Life Is Just A Cher O'Bowlies? No, I didn't make that up. It was a song by The Blues Magoos. Yes, I have the album.

    What is life? If you read Douglas Adams you know that 42 is the answer to the “ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything”.

    But I do agree with you. Live and laugh at it all.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, should I try not to cover as many subjects in my posts? Do you mean within single posts or across posts?

      I never heard of Life Is Just A Cher O'Bowlies or The Blues Magoos but I will mention it/them in my next post.

      I remember enjoying all five books of Douglas Adams's trilogy when I read them a long time ago. If you go up into the search box at the top left of this blog and type 42 will find a couple of posts I put together that may prove interesting.

      Delete
    2. I meant within a single post and I enjoy it! Sorry if I phrased that wrong. You write very interesting posts and cover many subjects which I like!

      Delete
  2. Monty Python member Eric Idle wrote a song called "Always Look on The Bright Side of Life". The sentiment is appealing but living like that seems almost impossible to me. For example, how can you look on the bright side of life when you have no home or when you have contracted the coronavirus or when your dog just died or when you you were just mugged by a crazy drug addict? I wish life was a bowl of cherries but it clearly isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding, I remember Eric Idle but not the song. You have brought up some good points.

      Delete
  3. I liked Erma Bomback years ago.
    I agree life is not a bowl of cherries, but I like live and laugh at it all.
    My husband has quoted that line from Macbeth many times to me, but he also says Terence, this is stupid stuff... :D
    As for me, I prefer Psalm of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going away to digest all that. Assuming that I don't suffer from one ailment of the digestif system or another then I shall be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine many people talking about a prostate would call it a prostrate. On the other hand I can imagine people talking about prostating themselves.

      I had not heard of Emma Bombeck but I certainly enjoy the titles of her books.

      Voltaire seems to be popping up everywhere recently. I always preferred his view of life and whatever is is best rather than Nietzsche's.

      Don't forget, by the way, that not every cherry in a bowl is a good one. Some may be ripe, some inedible and some downright rotten.

      Delete
  5. Graham, it's always good to hear from you. You need to know that many things you can't imagine happen in America every single day. Trust me on this one. We may speak the same language, sort of, but we are apparently an entirely different breed of cat.

    I will address your observation about Voltaire in my next post.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...