Monday, April 6, 2020

Poetic thoughts upon waking, or Long live the Queen

I watched and listened to Queen Elizabeth's speech to her people yesterday. This morning I awoke with the words A gecko is a lizard and Gandalf is a wizard inexplicably rolling around inside my head. I arose and promptly dashed off the following:

A gecko is a lizard
And Gandalf is a wizard,
The Model T was made by Henry Ford;
A cavalry, of course, is
A place with lots of horses,
And Calvary's the place they killed Our Lord.

Elizabeth the Second
Is a force with which to be reckoned,
At 93 she's still here going strong;
Her mum bid us "toodle-oo"
Just shy of one-oh-two,
And Philip's life at 98 is long.

Her Charles and Anne and Andy
And Edward made life dandy,
Prince William added three great-grands with Kate;
And 80 years apart
Her broadcasts move one's heart.
No Tin Lizzie she, Elizabeth is great.

I think I shall call the poem "On Listening To Queen Elizabeth's Speech During the Pandemic Of 2020".

If you can think of a better title, let me know in the comments. “American Fool” is also a possibility.

A heads up to Yorkshire Pudding: No disrespect here, sir, none at all. Only great admiration.

(1925 Ford Model T Touring Car, photo by ModelTMitch, 2018. Used in accordance with CC-BY-SA 4.0)

5 comments:

  1. Since CAnada , is a former colony, we don't have a strong connection to the Queen. However, it's great that she spoke up to help her people. I did not listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red in Alberta (or is it Saskatchewan?), is Canada not a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations? It is odd to think of Canada as "a former colony"....

      Delete
  2. I like your poem! And I like the queen. She was more effective in her two minute address than any of the twenty minute press releases I've seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, thank you! although I wondered if my poen was a tad flippant. I'm just a dumb American, what do I know? But I agree with you about the queen.

      Delete
  3. I like your poem! And I like the queen. She was more effective in her two minute address than any of the twenty minute press releases I've seen

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...