Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Voice, fiddle, and flute

In the previous post, in which we (okay, I) talked about people changing words to the lyrics of songs, reader Kathy from Virginia recalled that her father-in-law used to sing "Amazing Grace" to the opening theme music from the television program Gilligan's Island. The phenomenon she mentioned is different from changing an occasional word here and there, such as the example I had pointed out, changing "flaring lamps" to "glaring lamps" in the second verse of The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

But the Battle Hymn itself is an example of what Kathy was talking about. Before "Mine eyes have seen the coming of the glory of the Lord" and so forth were sung to the tune we all know, that very tune had a completely different set of words, "John Brown's Body Lies A-Moulding In The Grave".

Christian songwriter Dottie Rambo a few decades back put her lyrics "He Looked Beyond My Faults And Saw My Need" to the old Irish folk tune, "Danny Boy" and no one objected/cared/was any the wiser.

Even the poem by Francis Scott Key that became our national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner" (which begins, "O say, can you see by the dawn's early light what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?") is sung to an 18th-century tavern drinking-song tune called "To Anacreon, In Heaven".

I kid you not. You can listen to it right here (1:06) .

I am indebted to the simple tune of "Jesus Loves Me" for helping me and young folks everywhere remember the names of the 12 disciples of Jesus:

Let's name the twelve disciples one by one,
Peter, Andrew, James, and John,
Next come Philip, and Thomas too,
Matthew and Bartholomew.
James (the one they called the Less),
Simon, also Thaddeus.
The twelfth disciple Judas made.
Jesus was by him betrayed.


Back in my sacrilegious youth, there was a Pepsi-Cola commercial that went "Pepsi-Cola hits the spot, twelve full ounces, that's a lot, something something and something too, Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you" and some of us who ought to have known better made up new words:

Christianity hits the spot,
Twelve apostles, that's a lot,
The Holy Ghost and the Virgin too,
Christianity's the thing for you.


Well, that's more than enough of that.

What songs can you think of (excluding bawdy ones) that are sung to the tune of a different song?

P.S. -- This all seems very familiar. Perhaps I have blogged about it before.

P.P.S. -- In the comments, Yorkshire Pudding mentioned that "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee" is the same music as "God Save The Queen" and Alphie Soup mentioned that Elvis Presley's song "Love Me Tender" is the music of a 19th-century American song called "Aura Lee". These very good examples suddenly brought three others to mind:

1. The music of Della Reese's hit song "Don't You Know" is "Musetta's Waltz" from Puccini's opera La Boheme.

2. The love ballad "Full Moon and Empty Arms" from several decadea ago is music from Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff.

3. "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" uses music composed by Frederic Chopin in his Fantasie Impromptu.

17 comments:

  1. In 2014 Gordon Lightfoot said in an interview with Reddit Ask Me Anything that the tune for The Edmund Fitzgerald was the tune of an old Irish folk song. Many cultures use and re-use the music of their favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, it’s apparently a very common practice. I would like to hear about specific examples. My mind goes blank when I’m asked to provide any, however.

      Delete
  2. "God Save The Queen" is of course the British national anthem so in the mid-seventies, when I was a camp counsellor in Ohio, I was astonished to hear American children singing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" to the same tune. Our national anthem was first adopted in 1745 but several musical scholars believe that the tune is more than a hundred years older than that. Nobody knows its origins with any certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing a little digging and research. I'm sure we listen to many songs and don't notice that parts have been changed or that the tune is from another song. Little kids quite often are culprits for changing words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red, putting this post together was a lot of fun. I’m glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the Pepsi jingle and your biblical version. :)
    I think you can sing Amazing Grace to House of the Rising Sun. Stairway to Heaven to Gilligan's Island although they are beyond me.
    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, if I squinted just right I might conclude that you have a fixation with both Amazing Grace and Gilligan’s Island ! (jk)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well.....there is the Comet song, lol. That's the only one I can think of. I'm afraid we make up farm songs to change out other songs all the time (I had a milk goat named Grace years ago and we always sang Grace, Grace, God's Grace to her....and whenever we bottle feed calves we sing Happy Tails to you, until we eat again....) We've got others, but I'm pretty sure people think we're weird already, so I'll sing quietly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I don’t think I know the Comet song. As for your made-up farm songs, you are not just HH (Hilltop Homesteader), you are HHH (Hilltop Homesteader, Hoot!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some years back when I started playing guitar I discovered the tune Aura Lee/Lea which sounded very familiar. Anyone who was an Elvis fan would know it as Love Me Tender.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas carol, "What Child Is This" is the tune of an English folk song, Greensleeves, I think.

    Have a pleasant Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are exactly right, Jeannelle! A great example.

      Delete
  11. I used to sing grace to the tune of MASH?

    I'm not sure about other denominations but in The Salvation Army we have alternate tunes for every song. It can be pretty confusing because not everyone knows the names of the tunes so often the leader announces the song and the musicians start with the wrong piece of music.
    Well, that was in the old days, now it's pretty much all Hillsong anyway

    ReplyDelete
  12. kylie, in many of the old hymnals (which most churches don’t use any more). You could find several hymns that had two tunes, but definitely not all or even most. I think this could usually be chalked up to there being a British tune and an American tune. I think now of “when I Survey The Wondrous Cross” and “All Hail The Power Of Jesus’ Name” and “Away In A Manger” and “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah” and, well, you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and "Jesus, Lover Of My Soul" and "Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus" and....

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...