Saturday, November 7, 2020

What is so rare as a day in June?

Then, if ever, come perfect days according to the American poet James Russell Lowell (1819-1891). It didn't take him that long to write it; those dates are the year he was born and the year he died, but you knew that.

I'll tell you what is so rare as a day in June.

A week in November. This week, as a matter of fact.

I'm not referring to the election, which as of this writing isn't over yet. I'm talking about the weather here in Canton, Georgia, USA.

The weather app on my smart phone says it all (the high and low temperatures shown are in Fahrenheit):

Sunday 73 63
Monday 73 64
Tuesday 72 66
Wednesday 75 63
Thursday 75 57
Friday 73 54
Saturday 70 57
Sunday 73 62

I'd say that I have spring fever, but it isn't even spring. Oscar Hammerstein II wrote that. And with music supplied by Richard Rodgers it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1945.

Here's Andy Williams singing it in 1962 (3:08).

I'm as restless as a willow in a windstorm too, I'm as jumpy as a puppet on a string, but I think it has more to do with the election than the weather.

P.S. -- I definitely do not feel gay in a melancholy way. Language sure does change over time, doesn't it?

6 comments:

  1. We, too, have been having 70's weather, but it's supposed to turn cold this coming week.

    I enjoyed the song. Did you know Andy Williams was born in Wall Lake, Iowa (also home of Cookies BBQ Sauces).

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannelle, a former pastor of ours who now lives in Alaska reports that it was 25 below zero (Fahrenheit) in Fairbanks yesterday. I guess it’s only a matter of time until it reaches you in Iowa. I hope and pray it never reaches us.

      I have heard of Wall Lake (maybe because Andy Williams was born there) but I have never heard of Cookies BBQ Sauces.

      Delete
  2. Strange weather has been just one of many weird things this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to hear you are enjoying the beautiful weather! It does lift the spirits doesn't it?! We had snow a little over a week ago but this past week has been beautiful. I do love it and try to soak it up for I know winter is coming and that's okay too. The cycle of life continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I didn’t realize it has already snowed this year where you are. We had mornings in the 30s during part of Ictober. Maybe that’s when it was. The cycle of life, indeed. Time marches on.

      Delete

<b>Words mean something </b>

I love a joke Red Skelton told about a spaceship that landed on Earth. Two aliens got out. The first thing they saw was a parking meter. ...