Monday, December 28, 2020

U.S. History lesson and a most unusual photo

Today, class, before 2020 passes into history, let's take a glimpse back in time to the America of a hundred years ago, to the year 1920.

I can hear some of you saying "Let's not" but I am going to forge ahead anyhow. Stick with me. You may learn something.

World War I had ended with the armistice in November 1918. American women had just received the right to vote with the passage of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and everyone was looking forward to the election in the fall of 1920. The deadly Spanish flu had lasted from February 1918 to April 1920, infecting 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time – in four successive waves. The death toll worldwide is estimated to have been somewhere between 17 million and 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million.

On the American political scene, President Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, wanted to serve a third term but his failing health made that unlikely. In the Republican Party, former president Theodore Roosevelt had been the favorite for another run at the presidency, but that hope ended when he died in January 1919. Whom to pick, whom to pick? Both parties were in a quandary.

At the Democratic Party's National Convention in San Francisco, on the 44th ballot (repeat, 44th ballot -- Donald Trump would have been apoplectic), James M. Cox, the governor of Ohio, was chosen to head the ticket and he picked the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York, as his Vice-Presidential running mate. Here they are at a campaign stop in Washington D.C. in 1920:

Do you notice anything unusual or surprising about that photo? The answer is revealed before the end of this post.

The Republicans chose Senator Warren G. Harding, also of Ohio, to be their candidate. He became the 29th president of the United States. His Vice-Presidential running mate, Calvin Coolidge, then became the 30th president when Harding died in office in 1923.

Here is what the electoral map ended up looking like in 1920:

The "big three" states in electoral votes that year were New York (45), Pennsylvania (38), and Illinois(29). Not California, Not Texas. Not Florida. The North and West voted Republican and there was an almost solidly Democratic south except for the state of Tennessee. The nation's political map has changed a great desl in the last hundred years, mainly because the political stances of the Democrats and Republicans have changed as well.

About that photograph, it is the only one I have ever seen of Franklin D. Roosevelt standing tall and erect, unassisted by crutches or canes, or not sitting in a wheelchair. It made me wonder just when he contracted polio, and I have learned that it happened the very next year, in 1921. He became very ill while his family was on vacation at Campobello in Maine. He became permanently paralyzed from the waist down. Although he was diagnosed with poliomyelitis at the time, some now think his symptoms were more consistent with Guillain–Barré syndrome.

The Roaring Twenties, the Jazz Age, the Stock Market Crash, the Great Depression, World War II were all yet to come.

Roosevelt probably thought his career was ended and that his life was ruined.

He could not have been more wrong.

He went on to become Governor of New York, and then the longest-serving president of the United States, from 1933 until 1945.

16 comments:

  1. Is there a prize for getting it right before you said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasker/David, only the satisfaction of knowing that you know, but that is reward enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the history lesson. Both my grandmothers were born in 1900. I could kick myself that I didn't ask them more about the historical happenings such as you mentioned, the 19th Amendment passage, the flu epidemic, and World War I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannelle, it is so unfortunate that by the time we become interested in history, many of our own links to it that could have provided authentic details and perspective are no longer with us.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your post. It is interesting to see how blue the south was then.

    Thanks for coming on my blog and noticing that I used the wrong name for my plant. I have no idea why I called it a poinsettia as I know it is not one of them. I used to buy poinsettias but no more because I found out they are poisonous to cats. As for my cactus, even the tag on the plant said Schlumbergera. But on the front of the tag it said “zygo cactus.” I checked and this is what I found “Zygocactus is a common name for Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata syn. Zygocactus truncata). It sells as "Christmas cactus," "Thankgiving cactus," and "holiday cactus" at various stores during the holidays. True Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera x buckleyi) is not heavily marketed.” It is true that my old cactus flowers around Thanksgiving and not Christmas. Anyway, thanks for telling me. I corrected the post. Still don’t know how I made the mistake – I guess a senior burp…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess would be the fact that they are exactly the same color had something to do with it!

      Delete
  5. As for FDR I went through a period trying to read everything about him and Eleanor. But the books were in English/US. When I wrote my series of posts on the 1944 Liberation of Paris in August 2014 I read more about him but from UK, French, Belgian and other sources. That’s when I found out he wanted to annex France to the US after the war – something known in Europe but rarely spoken in this country. He hated de Gaulle and was supporting the Vichy regime. He had even his own people move to French cities, right after Liberation, and take over administrations and had dollars printed to use instead of the French francs. Well that’s why De Gaulle hurried to Paris and claimed the government before FDR could finalize his plans. FDR was furious and refused to have de Gaulle to the Yalta Conference. You can read my series that I started on August 24, 2014 and the 4th post explains about FDR and shows photos of the French dollars he had printed. But I still like FDR even though he hated the French. He is the one who started the PR about the French not liking the US, when it was the other way around. His people translated French texts wrong to make it appear thus. I know because I read them and my first language is French. But I do realize everyone has strong dislikes in politics and FDR was a great man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vagabonde, every day is a schoolday and I have to say that I never ever heard that the US wished to claim France. It certainly wasn't taught in my history lessons at school (in England).

      Delete
    2. Graham, I know there was an Occupied Germany and an Occupied Japan and am wondering if that’s what Vagabonde meant, an occupation as opposed to a true aannexation — that is, that it would have been temporary, not permanent.

      Delete
    3. Vagabonde, I am flabbergasted at my own unawareness of the things you wrote about in your comment. That side of FDR was certainly not taught in U.S. schools when I was a student, but I don’t doubt what you say at all. I have found corroborating evidence online. In this country he is both much admired and much criticized, depending on one’s political views.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for that interesting bit of US history Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lesson you shared is a good one. Keep on trying and we'll get through this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you always get to the heart of the matter. If I had thought of your final sentence and how FDR's predicament relates to our current one, I would have ended the post with it!

      Delete
  8. An interesting piece of history. My Mother was born in 1922 and I love tracing the family history back to those days and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

<b>How’s that again?</b>

Tonight on Wheel Of Fortune when host Pat Sajak was eliciting introductory remarks from each contestant at the beginning of the program, o...