Saturday, June 11, 2022

A beautiful absolutely marvelous word

But first, did you know that each and every day 21,500,000 people in this world celebrate birthdays? It's true. The population of the world is estimated to have been 7,868,000,000 as of January 1, 2022, and there are 365.25 days in a year. Do the math.

The same article told me that the world had grown by 74,000,000 people since the preceding January 1st, and that every single second 4.3 people are born and 2.0 people die.

I do hope someone out there finds such data interesting.

Stated differently, if the population of the world is A, the number of days in a year is B, and the number of people celebrating birthdays each day is C, the formula for determining C is C = A over (divided by) B. Just remember, when it comes to numerators and denominators, there is a fine line between them.

Well, enough of that. Onward and upward.

Way back in 1969, during the first season of the children's television series Sesame Street, Big Bird saw a sign containing the whole alphabet and said, "Boy, look at that beautiful absolutely marvelous word". He tried to pronounce it as one word and it came out (this is an approximation) "Abka-def-ghi-jekyl-min-op-quer-stuv-wik-siz". Then he launched into what became an iconic song sung several times over the years:

ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
It's the most remarkable word I've ever seen
ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
I wish I knew exactly what I mean
It starts out like an "A" word, as anyone can see
But somewhere in the middle it gets awful "QR" to me
ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
If I ever find out just what this word can mean
I'll be the smartest bird the world has ever seen!

What can that strange looking word possibly mean?
Funny word

It might be kind of an elephant
Or a funny kind of kazoo
Or strange, exotic turtle
You never see in a zoo
Or maybe a kind of a doggie
Or particular shade of blue
Or maybe a pretty flower

Nah, not with a name like that, uh-uh

ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
It's the most remarkable word I've ever seen
ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
I wish I knew exactly what I mean
It starts out like an "A" word as anyone can see
But somewhere in the middle it gets awful "QR" to me
ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNOP-QRSTUV-WXYZ
If I ever find out just what this word can mean
I'll be the smartest bird the world has ever seen!


Whenever I think of that song, I do not think of Big Bird. I think of Mr. Snuffleupagus, who actually fits the bill as "kind of an elephant".

I also think of four places in the book of Revelation, the last book of the Christian New Testament. In chapter 1, verse 8, and chapter 21, verse 6, we read "I [the Lord] am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end." In chapter 1, verse 11, and chapter 22, verse 13, we read "I [the Lord] am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last."

As you probably know, the New Testament was written in Greek nearly 2,000 years ago. In the Greek alphabet the first letter is called Alpha and the last letter is called Omega. To my way of thinking, the Lord is not only Alpha and Omega (the first and last, the beginning and the end, the A and Z, as it were) but also all the letters in-between, everything that is needed to describe anything, the Greek version of Big Bird's absolutely beautiful marvelous word.

Here's the Greek alphabet:

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to step into your Big Bird costume (you know you want to) and devise a pronounceable word out of the Greek alphabet and report back here with the result. I'll even start you off:

Abga-dez-huh-thikl-minx-op-... and you take it from there.

The same person who wrote Revelation also wrote in another place, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God....and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

Words are important. Use them wisely.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Tasker, I am most definitely not the alpha and the omega, but you are very kind, unless you are being snarky, in which case you are not being kind at all. It is hard to interpret you from afar. I will take it as a compliment, unworthy though I may be. Make that am. As we say here in the states, keep on keeping on! I don't really know if people say that any more, but since I am saying it they are as I am certainly one of the people.

      Delete
  2. It's letters month here. Big Bird makes more sense than our letters people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, I am not acquainted with letters month. I will have to look into what you are talking about exactly. Big Bird makes more sense than a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. I can recite the Greek alphabet. I learned it as a very young child when sitting on the toilet. It seemed a good idea not to waste the time. It has been invaluable all my life in doing crosswords.

    It does not help me in the slightest bit in meaningfully responding to your unbelievably esoteric post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, I didn't learn the Greek alphabet until I went to college. I didn't take a course in Greek, though. I pledged a fraternity and being able to say the Greek alphabet in less ten seconds was one of the requirements of all pledges

    No one has ever accused me of producing an unbelievably esoteric post before, but zI suppose there is a first time for everything.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...