Sunday, April 23, 2023

Old musicians never die, they just decompose

George Frederick Handel, who died in 1759, has been decomposing for a long time now. But when he was still around and composing, one of the most stunningly magnificent pieces of music ever to flow from his or anyone else's brain hand quill pen is Zadok The Priest. He composed it for the coronation of George II in 1727 and it has been performed at the coronation of every British monarch since then except for Edward VIII who abdicated before his planned coronation. The ninth time was at the coronation of Elizabeth II in June 1953. The performance just a couple of weeks from now on May 6th at the coronation of Charles III will mark the tenth successive coronation at which Handel's Zadok The Priest will have been performed, covering a period of nearly 300 years.

I was going to include a link here so that you could listen to the piece but I decided instead to let you find it for yourself or just wait until you hear it live on May 6th. I can't keep spoon-feeding you everythingc can I? No, I cannot. I have my reputation as a curmdgeon to maintain.

Changing subjects, John Harington of Exton (1561-1612), not to be confused with John Harington of Stepney (1517-1582), wrote the following:

"Treason doth never prosper: What's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason."

thereby inspiring among other things a book about the state of American affairs in 1964 by John Stormer called None Dare Call It Treason that made the rounds during the Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater presidential election. There was a second book not inspired by John Harington written by J. Evetts Haley that same year called A Texan Looks At Lyndon. Both books were roundly condemned by the left and called 'hate speech' but they rang true to this Texan's ears.

That's enough for this time. I don't want to wear you out.

I'm a pretty old musician myself. I may start decomposing soon.

Don't hold your breath.

7 comments:

  1. I was told that you could at one time observe Handel in his coffin with a rubber (American: eraser) rubbing out all his music note by note. Yes indeed, he was slowly decomposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you clarified about the rubber as it means something very different on this side of the pond. Surely Handel must be completely decomposed by now.

      Delete
  2. Please be generous with deodorant then. Mrs. RWP will be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I am nothing if not generous with deodorant, and I expect others to do likewise.

      Delete
  3. I find this mini history post about the composition that will be played for the 10th coronation in a row, on May 6, fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're decomposing, I'll hold my breath for as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...