Friday, April 28, 2023

More crickets on Jeopardy!

I'm sorry, but I can't resist. Here are answers from today's Jeopardy! episode that I answered but none of the contestants could:

What is Sweden?
Who is Sugar Ray Robinson?
Who is William Holden?
What is pituitary?
Who is Keats?
Who is Androcles?
What is Old North Church?

These have no meaning, or very little, to anybody else but me.

Sweden was the answer to the following clue: In 1912 the king of this country called Jim Thorpe the world's greatest athlete, to which Thorpe replied, 'Thanks, King'.

William Holden's photograph was shown in a visual clue and he was said to have co-starred in the film Sunset Boulevard. Still, no one knew him.

Nobody knew that the person who wrote a poem called "Endymion" was John Keats.

Androcles was a fill-in-the-blank answer to the title of a play by George Bernard Shaw, "_________ And The Lion".

In the Final Jeopardy category, U.S. Historical Locations, the clue was that President Gerald R. Ford kicked off the Bicentennial Celebration by lighting a third lantern here.

One person wrote the Washington Monument and one person wrote Independence Hall. Apparently they didn't recall Paul Revere's ride and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow having written "One if by land and two if by sea / And I on the opposite shore will be / Ready to ride and spread the alarm / Through every Middlesex village and farm" and later in the poem "A second light in the belfry burns!".

I continue to be baffled as to why I remember facts like these. I continue to be thankful to my high school English and history teachers. I am also a pretty good guesser.

Thank you for your continued patience with my little obsession. Until we meet again.

4 comments:

  1. I truly believe it is because we were required to remember things by both the school and our parents. I must admit that there were a couple of questions I would have missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, it seems to me that the world gets worse with every passing year. Not the world itself, but the people in it. One man's opinion, of course. Socrates probably thought the same thing. So maybe it's just an illusion of the elderly?

      Delete
  2. Well I didn't know the answer to the first question but I was surprised that "In 1912 the king of this country called Jim Thorpe....".It sounded such an unlikely name for a king, never mind one in 1912.

    I studied Endymion and Hyperion ion 5th Year so I knew that from way back.

    I knew Androcles and the Lion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, very droll. I wasn't quoting the clue verbatim. A better way of saying it would have been "In 1912 the king of this country said to Jim Thorpe, 'You are the world's greatest athlete', to which Thorpe replied, 'Thanks, King'."

      Everything I know is from way back.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...