Tuesday, May 2, 2023

In which I am disappointed with some of my fellow Americans

I may never watch Jeopardy! again. I know I'm probably more of an Anglophile than your average American, but I am in shock.

Let me explain.

On yesterday's program, in a category called May, prominent events that occurred in the month of May were featured. In one visual clue, the following photograph was displayed:


while the master of ceremonies intoned,"On May 12, 1937, this man, shown here with his wife and their two daughters, Princess Margaret and Princess Elizabeth, was crowned King of England."

Easy peasy.

Contestant number 3 buzzed in and said, "Who is George VIII?".

Contestant #2 buzzed in and said, "Who is George VII?".

Contestant number 1, the current champion, didn't buzz in at all. He looked normal enough but had revealed to the host during the preceding day's interview that he had a drag queen alter ego named Whiskey Ginger, so there is that to consider.

As we all should know, England has never had a George VIII, nor has it ever had a George VII.

The correct answer is "Who is George VI?", the man who became king after the abdication of his older brother, Edward VIII, about whom Contestant number 3 may have been thinking. Of course, Edward VIII did not have a wife with two daughters, although he did eventually have a wife with two divorces.

I can't imagine who Contestant number 2 was thinking about unless it was Edward VII, who reigned from 1901 to 1910, George VI's grandfather.

I'm pretty sure Contestant number 1 was thinking about how good Whiskey Ginger, his drag queen alter ego, would look in a robe of ermine..

The real queen (non-drag variety) standing next to King George VI is his wife, the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, and the two princesses are his younger daughter, Princess Margaret Rose, and his elder daughter, Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, who came to the throne in 1952 as Elizabeth II and reigned for 70 years. The coronation of Charles III, her son, will occur this Saturday, May 12, 2023.

I do hope the contestants have heard of him.

6 comments:

  1. Matters not a jot to many if not most in the UK.
    You declared independence and fought for it. You lot didn't like George the Turd. Don't blame you, not many here like Charles the Turd. Royalty and politicians have always sided with global money to feather their own nests.
    The last war cost us dearly as you Americans have creamed every last penny out of us for the lives and machines it cost you. Not to worry. The peasants would not have seen any of it anyway.
    I do hope I live to see the collapse of FIAT currency. I'm what you would know as Libertarian but mostly I'm out for me. No better than our ruling class but I'm not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Adrian. Long time no see. I am no longer able to access your blog. Did you take it down?

      I am conservative on most issues but do not consider my views as what President Biden keeps calling "extreme MAGA Republican". There is a Libertarian talk-show host here who refers to herself as an anarcho-capitalist. I could never be that extreme. I liked a lot of things Donald Trump did while in office but wished (and still wish) he would keep his mouth closed.more often.

      Most Americans probably know more about Harry & Meghan than all the rest of the royal family put together.

      Delete
  2. I love that photo, and am an American who admired Queen Elizabeth II for many reasons and may God bless the soon to be King Charles III.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Terra. Charles is not "soon to be king" -- he has been king since the minute his mother died. As proof, Queen Elizabeth became queen upon the death of her father, George VI, in February 1952, but her coronation did not occur until June of 1953. When she died in September 2022 her reign was said to have lasted 70 years, not 69. Just a minor point, but worth pointing out. Another example: Edward VIII never had a coronation but he was still king for several months before he abdicated in 1936.

      Delete
  3. Princess Margaret looks like you would imagine Princess Elizabeth would look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Emma. I don't quite understand what you mean, but In this particular photograph, Princess Margaret was three months shy of her 7th birthday in August, and Princess Elizabeth had turned 11 one month previously, in April. How are should children that age look besides bewildered and uncomprehending?

      Delete

<b> It’s too hot to write a long post</b>

The average person (me, for example) has no (okay, little) grasp of just how large or small a number really is. Case in point, I read the...