Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Odds and ends

As we all know, meanings of words often change over time. Originally, Hamburger meant a resident of Hamburg, Germany, and Frankfurter meant a resident of Frankfurt, Germany. They were not foods you like to eat at a backyard cookout. Also, it hasn't been all that long ago that 'gay' meant happy.

And it isn't just time that brings change. So does distance. A boot and a bonnet in the UK are known as a trunk and a hood in the US, a biscuit is called a cookie, and a napkin is called a diaper. If Graham Edwards is to be believed (and there's no reason why he shouldn't be), the word 'lavaliere' is unknown to people in Scotland.

Read the following poem:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
And the child born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, good and gay.


I'm pretty certain that the writer of that poem was not suggesting that children born on the Sabbath day are members of the LGBTQIA+ community.

All that aside, the big news of the week in these parts is that our first great-grandchild has been welcomed into the world. Mother and baby are doing well. The baby, a healthy boy weighing six pounds, seven ounces, and sporting a headful of dark brown hair, has been named Banks. His great-grandpa, an old-fashioned sort of guy, would not be surprised if the next child born in that family is named Grocery Stores.

I'm kidding.

But you can't deny that just as times change and meanings of words change, even so do names that are popular for giving to new members of the human race change also. Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher who lived around 500 BC, said that the only permanent thing is change. He had a point.

As much as the name Banks surprised me, I am grateful that our new descendant was not named Mephibosheth or Tiglath-pileser.

4 comments:

  1. I am a child born on the Sabbath. I can attest to all the qualities mentioned. And I am not LGBTQIA+ although I would not be shy to let you know if I were. Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. My mother-in-law used to say, "You girls and those funny names!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Emma. I checked and I am a Tuesday's child.

      Delete
  2. When people I knew called their daughter "Zephaniah" I was astounded. Actually, I still am.
    I'm glad the new little tacker is doing well. Congrats to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zephaniah is the name of a prophet (male) as well as a book in the Old Testament, of course, but I've never heard of a woman with that name before. I have known women named Fredonia, Tranquilla, and Azalea (pronounced Azza-lee). but never a Zephaniah. That's a definite first. Thank you for commenting, b>kylie.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz</b>

...are more common than you might think. Here are some that come to mind: 1. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. & Mary Pickford 2. Florenz ...