Wednesday, September 27, 2023

A day in the life, and another, and another

Being one of the last of the big-time spenders, I took my wife out to breakfast yesterday at one of the local fast-food drive-through establishments that sells hamburgers most of the time but also offers a breakfast menu during the morning hours. The breakfast menu includes various kinds of croissants and biscuits and "French toast-stix", stuff like that. Our own particular favorite (British, favourite) fast-food breakfast is a sausage-egg-and-cheese croissant with hash rounds (finely chopped fried potatoes formed into miniature patties that are known in some places as tater tots) and coffee that would never be mistaken for the world's best. We are gluttons for punishment, evidently.

At the fast-food place, three men were solving the world's problems at a nearby table very loudly, oblivious to other diners who simply wanted a quick, quiet breakfast. They spoke at length of Russian oligarchs and the Crimea and billions of dollars and things one of them called unconstitutional. They never mentioned several currently pressing topics but they came across as self-assured, arrogant, convinced of their own opinions. This didn't happen in Washington D.C. but in a fast-food place in snall-town America. I mentioned to Mrs. RWP that they reminded me of a comedian on television many years ago who told the host of a talk show that in his marriage he made all the big, important decisions, and that his wife made all the small, unimportant ones like what city they would live in, how many children they would have, how much they spent on a house, what kind of car they drove. The host of the show said, "What decisions do YOU make?" and the guy said, "You know, big ones like should Red China join the United Nations?".

After finishing our breakfasts, Mrs.RWP and I went to Home Depot and picked out a new washer and dryer that will be delivered and installed on Saturday. Our old dryer finally breathed its last a day earlier after 20 years of faithful service. It left us with two loads of wet clothes (one in the dryer and one in the washer waiting its turn) to be dried the old-fashioned way. We haven't had a clothesline or clothespins in a very long time but we did have a collapsible drying rack in the garage that proved to be up to the task in our emergency.

We decided to replace our 20-year-old washing machine as well because it might last five more years or it might last five more minutes. We justified our decision in the spirit of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Today, we are looking forward to meeting our second son and his wife tonight for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. We don't get to see them often enough.

Tomorrow, which will be yet another day in our lives, will be the 16th anniversary of the birth of this blog. If this blog were a person, it could get a driver's license.

P.S. - The comments-answering situation continues to be a problem and Google is not helping. He/She/It no longer seems to like me. I will keep trying to solve the dilemma but progress is slow. All in all, I seem to be an ignoramus,-a,-um. I do appreciate everyone who comments.

5 comments:

  1. I always get unfeasibly excited by new machines - their pristine appearance, their promise that from hereon life will be more fulfilling. I lead a very sad life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been having comment problems. For me, they don't occur if I log in using Google Chrome, but they still occur using all other browsers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About a year-and-a-half ago my son bought a new refrigerator/freezer. Not to be outdone I bought a new kitchen range. For the first time in my life I have new appliances. They are heaven to use. I hope you enjoy your new machines as much as I do mine. (But I didn't get breakfast first.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you bought an environmentally friendly heat exchange dryer (which, as an advantage, costs virtually nothing to run). Fortunately we have no 'fast food' places on the Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about commenting on my blog! I know you want to. No big deal; I enjoy reading yours. Like yours, our old, dead washer and dryer were replaced at the same time several years ago although only the dryer was technically dead. It did seem to make sense and the new washer has been a blessing. I hate it when people voice their opinions too loudly in public when others are trying to eat. The end. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...