Wednesday, October 18, 2023

My initial reaction

Some people are known by their names and some are known by their initials only. I have known several individuals over the years who used their initials, including:

O.M. Nessler (a classmate's older brother)
D.K. Ward (a classmate)
L.W. West (a classmate)
C.B. Gilstrap (my childhood barber)
H.O. Watkins (my daughter-in-law's grandmother's husband)
F.B. Griffis (our church organist's husband)
F.M. Moore, Jr. (choir director and friend for 45 years)

F.M.'s long-dead father was not called F.M. Moore, Sr., however. He was called Frank, which led me some 35 years into my friendship with F.M. to ask him if his name might possibly be Francis Marion. He admitted that it was. My hunch was right. Francis Marion was an American Brigadier General during the Revolutionary War that George III inspired. Marion was nicknamed "The Swamp Fox" for introducing guerilla-like tactics into modern warfare in, of all places, South Carolina.

Lots of people in all walks of life go by their initials. Here are some of them:

J.R.R. Tolkein (author)
K.D. Lang (singer)
A.E. Houseman (poet)
A.A. Milne (creator of Winnie the Pooh)
e.e. cummings (poet)
Y.A. Tittle (professional football player)
J.K. Rowling (author)
N.T. Wright (theologian)
I.M. Pei (architect)
C.S. Lewis (author)
T.S. Eliot (poet)
S.I. Hayakawa (author, academic, politician)

Consider also P.D.Q. Bach, R.E.O. Speedwagon, T.J. Hooker. That last one is a fictional police sergeant played by William Shatner in a television series of the same name. When Agatha Christie created fictional characters she gave them names. Jane Marple. Hercule Poirot. If names work for Agatha Christie, they ought also to work for writers of television scripts.

On second thought, if my parents had named me Clive Staples or Yelberton Abraham, I might prefer to use my initials too.

10 comments:

  1. I'm assuming there were no names with this only the initials. Many people from home went by initials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, mos of them had names but went by just their initials. Thanks, Red.

      Delete
  2. Two more: P.G. Wodehouse and G.K. Chesterton. Pelham Grenville Wodehouse. C.S. Lewis was called Jack by his friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'ss add these to the list. Thanks, Terra. I also thought of P.T. Barnum of Barnum & Baily Circus fame, but most people probably know his name was Phineas.

      Delete
  3. I don't believe I ever knew anyone who only used initials. It is interesting now that you have called it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fairly common in my neck of the woods. Thanks, Emma.

      Delete
  4. I was a teeny bit excited that you mentioned NT Wright.
    At one point I had an American friend who had added a "D" to his name just because he wanted to. It wasn't a name, just a D. As in, D Jack Smith. I still think it was a weird thing to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N.T. Wright's friends called him Tom. T.S. Eliot's friends called him Tom also. Did you know that our President Truman had no middle name so added an S to make it Harry S Truman? And the S did not have a period after it. Strange but true. Thanks, kylie.

      Delete
  5. W.B. (William Butler) Yeats, one of my favorite poets. Like me, an Irishman ... woman, in my case, haha. And not for nothing but when TG (my husband, who goes by those initials only on my blog, and even I have forgotten why) and I honeymooned in Charleston in the summer of 1979, we stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel on Citadel square. My TG is a graduate of The Citadel (class of '74) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much of my impression of the Citadel is derived from Lords of Discipline so I suppose my view is jaundiced. It was fiction, after all.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...