Monday, December 18, 2023

Here they are at last, multiple Brunhildas

During December in other years I have blogged about St. Nicholas (Dec. 6th), St. Lucy (Dec. 13th), Beethoven's birthday (Dec. 16th), Hanukkah (date varies), and, of course, Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year's Eve (dates do not vary). This year those are all out the window, gone with the wind as it were, and I find myself blogging instead about multiple Brunhildas.

Yes, Virginia, there are multiple Brunhildas (some with alternate spellings).

I was not aware of this phenomenon until I revealed that one of the answers I knew that no other contestant knew on Jeopardy! on November 30th was "Who is Brunhilda?" and reader Emma Springfield commented, "As far as Brunhilda, there are more than one of them, so I would like to know the clue." I replied that the clue mentioned valkyries.

I was going to include all the gory details here in one post but that made for a very long post. So I decided instead to include links and ignore the fact that I did the heavy lifting and all you have to do is tap your finger.

To read about Brunhilda the bird species, CLICK HERE .

To read about Brunhilda the valkyrie of Norse mythology and Wagnerian opera fame, CLICK HERE .

To read about Brunhilda the ship (SS Brunhilda), CLICK HERE.

To read about Brunhilda the Frankish queen, CLICK HERE .

To read about Brynhild the novel by H. G. Wells, CLICK HERE .

To read about Brunhilda the asteroid (123 Brunhilda), CLICK HERE .

There is also a comic-strip witch character named Broom-Hilda, but I'm not going to go there. You can look her up yourself if you are interested.

If you are the type of person who never clicks on links, at least check out the bird species and maybe the asteroid. And if there are still more Brunhildas, I ask Emma Springfield to tell us about them in a comment. I'm officially exhausted.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have covered it. The Germanic Brunhild is somewhat interchangeable with Norse and other Scandinavian warriors. There may be one or several. There is also the possibility that daughters were also named Brunhild. The Scandinavians state that Brunhild is the sister of Attila the Hun. You did a wonderful job of answering my question. I hope I have added some constructive information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post would not exist if not for your information, as I was unaware there werre multiple Brunhildas before. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  2. Well you really DID do the heavy lifting, and I cannot do it at the present moment but I will be clicking on all of the links and reading what is revealed, if for no other reason but gratitude for your diligence and largesse! Thanks and Merry Christmas, RwP! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so derelict with my replying skills that it is now the day after Christmas, but I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well, Thank you, Jenny, for the words 'diligence' and 'largesse' in reference to me. That's a first!!

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...