Saturday, February 10, 2024

Here we go again

I just can't resist. Here are several recent additions to the ever-increasing list of answers to unanswered clues on Jeopardy!:

Who is Clark Gable? (The clue was that this man kept vigil when the plane carrying his wife, actress Carole Lombard, crashed.)

Who is C.S. Lewis? (The clue was that this man used the name N.W. Clerk when writing A Grief Observed about his wife's death.)

What is yawning? (The clue included the word 'oscitation' and added that if you start doing it, I probably will too.)

Who is Irving Berlin? (The clue was that this man did not write "God Bless Cuba" when his wife fell ill during their honeymoon in Havana.)

Who is Billy Wilder? (The clue was that this man's gravestone in Californiae reads, "I'm a writer but then nobody's perfect".)

What is the Grand Canyon Suite? (The clue mentioned Ferde Grofé and Arizona.)

Who is Paul Harvey? (The clue was a photo of him while the vcoice-over said, "This newscaster always gave us 'the rest of the story'.")

Who is Toulouse-Lautrec? (In a category called "Ah, The French" the clue showed a photo of a man with a dark beard and wearing a hat and a long coat. The voice-over included the words 'artist' and 'short'.)

Who is Jacob? (In the category Quoting The Old Testament, the clue was "This man said 'Joseph, my son, is alive. I will go and see him'.")

What are 86 and 99? (The clue said these two numbers identified the agents in Get Smart.)

Whar are foxes? (Also in the category Quoting The Old Testament, the clue was "Take up these, the little these, for it is these that spoil the vines",)

There are many categories and clues, of course, about which I know absolutely nothing. That goes without saying. I just happened to know these.

Helpful-to-know Factoid #1 -- Billy Wilder directed the film Some Like It Hot, the last line of which is Joe E. Brown telling Jack Lemmon, "Nobody's perfect".

Helpful-to-know Factoid #2 -- Irving Berlin wrote "God Bless America".

Not-so-helpful-to-know-but-interesting-nevertheless Factoid #3 -- Before Ferde Grofé wrote the "Grand Canyon Suite" in 1931, he played the piano in the Paul Whiteman Orchestra for over a decade and wrote many orchestral arrangemens for the group. Perhaps the most notable one (no pun intended) was a new work by George Gershwin written originally for solo piano that Mr. Grofé arranged into a full orchestration. Its debut, with Mr. Gershwin on piano and Mr. Whiteman conducting the orchestra in New York City, occurred exactly one hundred yearss ago this week, on February 12, 1924. You may have heard of it. It is called "Rhapsody In Blue".

Speaking of blue, how many songs can you think of that include the word 'blue' (but not 'blues') in the title. If we included 'blues' we'd be here all day. Here's my list:

Blue Skies
Blue Moon
Blue Velvet
Am I Blue?
Alice Blue Gown
Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
My Blue Heaven
Blue Suede Shoes
Where The Blue Of The Night (Meets The Gold Of The Day
Bluebird Of Happiness
The Blue Tail Fly
Song Sung Blue

In my eagerness I seem to have co-opted the task, so please try once again to match as many songs as you can with their artists instead.

Finally, from our brand-new "Yeah, Right" Department, if you think Presidents of the United States would never lie on national television, consider the following three examples. Richard Nixon said, "I am not a crook" (November 17, 1973), Bill Clinton said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky" (January 26, 1998), and Joe Biden said, "I know what the hell I'm doing" (February 8, 2024).

6 comments:

  1. Please please explain this Jeopardy programme to me. I knew who all the people were apart from Paul Harvey although I had no idea about many of the clues. Are you given the clues and have to guess the person? I did know who wrote the Grand Canyon Suite by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeopardy! is an American television game show created in 1964 by Merv Griffin. The show is a quiz competition that reverses the traditional question-and-answer format of many quiz shows. Rather than being given questions, contestants are instead given general knowledge clues in the form of answers and they must identify the person, place, thing, or idea that the clue describes, phrasing each response in the form of a question. Three contestants have buzzer devices and each tries to be the first to buzz in. Sometimes no one buzzes in or all three guesses are wrong. Those are the ones I highlight in my posts, ones to which I knew the answer. Sometimes I don't know the answers; I don't blog about those. Thank you, Graham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comments are not always registering. Sorry if you think I'm not reading but I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are reading. I don't want to miss anything you have to say. Sometimes there is a delay in my publishing people's comments because I have moderation turned on and everything comes through my email inbox, and lately the inbox/Google goblins have been interfering with my trying to get comments published on Blogger. I never delete anything except true spam and troll comments, but llife online gets more complicaed all the time. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  4. Yes but do you know who wrote this ... Smile though your heart is aching / Smile even though it's breaking / When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by / If you smile through your fear and sorrow / Smile and maybe tomorrow / You'll see the sun come shining through for you / Light up your face with gladness / Hide every trace of sadness / Although a tear may be ever so near / That's the time you must keep on trying / Smile, what's the use of crying? / You'll find that life is more worthwhile / If you just smile ... ?

    Charlie Chaplin.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I distinctly remember having known that at one time but I had forgotten it. For a real treat, do a Google search for the video of Phyllis Diller at age 94 singing "Smile", which she made in one take.. Thank you, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...