Monday, June 17, 2024

I see the moon, the moon sees me

Do you know how many phases of the moon there are?

Before you say "I don't know and I don't care" or embarrass yourself by guessing some wildly inaccurate number, let me tell you the answer.

There are eight.

Some of you may be thinking "No way. Impossible. Cannot be true," to which I respond, "Way. Possible. Can be and is."

I will now tell you the eight phases of the moon while you silently marvel, "Is there no end to his knowledge?":

1. New Moon (Illumination: 0%)
2. Waxing Crescent Moon (Illumination: 0.1% to 49.9%)
3. First Quarter Moon (Illumination: 50%)
4. Waxing Gibbous Moon (Illumination: 50.1 to 99.9%)
5. Full Moon (Illumination: 100%)
6. Waning Gibbous Moon (Illumination: 99.9% to 50.1%)
7. Third Quarter Moon (Illumination: 50%)
8. Waning Crescent Moon (Illumination: 49.9% to 0.1%)

You know, of course, that wherever each human being stands on the surface of Ye Olde Planet Earth, his or her feet are pointing down, perpendicularly as it were, toward the center of our planet. Only gravity keeps us all from flying off into space. Depending on where we happen to be standing causes a curious effect on how the moon looks to us. This phenomenon is known as the moon's orientation. I said all that to say this:

In the Northern Hemisphere, the moon's orientation is from right to left, but in the Southern Hemisphere the moon's orientation is from left to right. Stated another way, in the Northern Hemisphere the First Quarter Moon resembles a capital D. In the Southern Hemisphere it is the Third Quarter Moon that resembles a capital D.

It is absolutely true, though you may find it hard to believe. Coincidentally, I have never seen an illustration of the moon's phases from the Southern Hemisphere's point of view.

In a previous life I think I may have been a middle school science teacher.

9 comments:

  1. I've often wondered how different the night sky must look in the Southern Hemisphere, but never considered how the moon would look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mind-boggling to learn about the moon's orientation. Thanks for commenting, Janice.

      Delete
  2. When weather allows me to see the moon I enjoy the view. Although I had an excellent biology teacher my freshman year a hard to understand Greek chemistry teacher my junior year I would have enjoyed you being my science teacher in the 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have enjoyed having you as a student in my class. Than you, Emma.

      Delete
  3. YIPPEE. I can see you again in Chrome.

    If I come across any of my photos of the moon taken during my New Zealand life then I will let you know. With modern search facilities it should be possible to search the 100,000 or so images I have aon my computer which includes my New Zealand years.

    PS I did happen to know the phases of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your problems using Chrome have gone away. I can't imagine having 100,000 photos. It boggles he mind.

      Delete
  4. Although, I should have added, that not everyone uses the same number or the same terminology. Some regard there as being 10 phases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the other two? You have piqued my curiosity. Thank you, Graham

      Delete
    2. My knowledge of the moon's phases comes from many summer's evenings in a hot tub in New Zealand gazing at the myriad of stars with someone who had a passion for observing the night sky. I have to be honest and say that I had to think very hard hard to get the 8 but I did get there largely by a process of elimination. I couldn't recall what the ten phases were because I jusr recalled being told that some people had a different approach. Anyway I looked it up and Young is added after New and Old is added at the end. Seems superfluous to me but then I'm not an astronomer,

      Delete

<b> <i>Parlez-vous fran&ccedil;ais?</i></b>

Ma petite-fille voyage en France cette semaine. Elle a vingt-quatre ans et voyage avec une amie d'école. Je ne sais pas si l'aim...