Friday, June 14, 2024

Last gasp?

I have the terrible feeling that my blogging career may be about to come to an end. I don't want it to. I hope I am wrong. But I haven't posted anything here since May 30th. After nearly 17 years, perhaps I have run out of things to say. It hasn't been for lack of trying; I started several posts and discarded them all.

In the meantime, the world keeps turning and June keeps busting out all over. Our friend Donna D. came over the other day and planted a blue hydrangea under our dining room window. The gardenia bush next to our patio has outdone itself this year, exploding with dozens and dozens of blooms that flood the patio with their unmistakeable fragrance.

Today is Flag Day in the United States. On June 14, 1777, eleven months after the Declaration of Independence was signed by 56 men meeting in Philadelphia, upholsterer Betsy Ross of that city presented the first American flag to General George Washington. Because the new nation had been formed by 13 British colonies uniting, the flag had 13 stripes of red and white and 13 white stars arranged in a circle on a field of Navy blue.

Sunday is Father's Day in the United States and it is also our dog Abby's eighth birthday. It is growing late and the arms of Morpheus are calling. I don't have time to tell you more right now, so I'll save it for later.

Perhaps this is not a last gasp after all. Here's hoping it is a second wind.

5 comments:

  1. I hope it is not your last gasp. I would sincerely miss you. At the same time if you decide to call it quits I hope you will say goodbye. Happy Fathers Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would ever "call it quits" but your hoping that I will say goodbye reminded me of the children in Sound Of Music singing, "Goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu. Goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu. Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu" and I chuckled at the absurdity of such a prospect1 Of course, I would have to go out with a flair, but I don't think I'm going anywhere for a while yet. Thank you for commenting and for the Happy Father's Day wish, Emma.

      Delete
  2. Ah, now Blogger is allowing comments . . . keep on keeping on is all I can say. You'd miss it and we'd miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny the Pirate said Blogger was acting up earlier and left her comment about this post on the preceding post. Blogger is weird sometimes, and that's a fact. Thank you, Janice, for commenting and for urging me to keep on keeping on. See my comment to Emma above for additional thoughts on the subject.

      Delete
  3. I hope it is not your last gasp but rather, a second wind. Sometimes topics do not occur to me, thus I post only maybe 3 times a month. Keep on posting, I would miss you.

    ReplyDelete

<b> I see the moon, the moon sees me</b>

Do you know how many phases of the moon there are? Before you say "I don't know and I don't care" or embarrass yo...